• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Place to visit

Tweedledee

My phone photo's are rubbish, but I put them in as this place might interest the ornithologists and lepidopterists, or anyone who likes a nice place to walk.

My wife and I visited Poolsbrook Country Park near Staveley on Sunday 28th May with the dogs and had a lovely time there in the sunshine. It is just one mile from junction 29A on the M1, and is the site of an old colliery. There is a largish fishing lake and several smaller ones, some wooded and some open areas, a nature reserve, a nice cafe with indoor and outdoor seating and a large kids play area. We walked about 2.5 miles, but there are lots of areas we didn't explore. Saw butterflies, birds and water birds including very pretty Great Crested Grebes, swans, geese, coots and a nice flock of about 20 white doves.

It is a lovely place and we intend to return to see more of it.

20170528_155427s.jpg?raw=1

20170528_160328s.jpg?raw=1

20170528_160707s.jpg?raw=1

20170528_161515s.jpg?raw=1

20170528_161544s.jpg?raw=1

• Like 2

Never heard of it Pete so I'll put it on my ever growing list of places to visit. 

I also must make a mental note to take more photos of the surrounding landscape. I'm forever thinking about macro shots now and the surrounding scenery doesn't enter my mind anymore.

Great photo's Pete.

Stayed there in the tourer caravan just a few weeks ago Pete, very tranquil, enjoyed it! Will prob go back next year too! ?