• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which M42?

Brady

Morning all, im going to try my hand using an older 200mm M42 thread lens on my canon for imaging just because we can..:P question is can anyone recommend a better make? im sure it wont matter too much but i can pick up various makes delivered for around the £20 mark but not sure on the quality between them...i suppose for 20 quid they will probably be made by the same factory...anyhow..

Auto Chinon 200mm 3.5 

Pentax m42 fit Optomax 12 blade

SOLIGOR M42 1:3.5 200mm...to name a few..

As always any help very much appreciated

Wayne

Stick to a prime lens if you can. I have a soft spot for Hoya lenses, used to own the whole range of M42 Hoya lenses.

Another good make I've used is the Pentacon, something like the 200/4.

Beware though most of these lenses are at least 30 years old some more so you might not get a good one for £20.

Don't discount the Russian Helios, Jupiter, or East European pentacon lenses. The Tair 300mm used on the Zenith Photosniper is highly regarded for astro.

Im keeping an eye on everything Phil, i just want to try the process out before i commit to the queens heads...if its not for me £20-£30 is not a costly mistake...and thanks for the other makes :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

Pentax M42 lenses are good - usually coated optics too. You can look at others that are not threaded as there are lots of adapters for different lenses that will fit into the larger throat of the canon eos.

From posts seen on other forums the Pentax super Takumar lenses are of fine quality. They are, however, more than £20. There will be a 200mm in my Xmas stocking. Had a quick test and it looks promising. Will post some results in the new year.

Graham