• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Owl hole dia - Pier tube

Bottletopburly

i am thinking of  putting an owl hole in a 140 mm dia tube for my pier ,IS it possible ,  how big would it need to be without it weakening the tube .and how far down the tube would it need to be .

Depends, if your using the plastic hand knob that comes with the mount then you need enough size to get your hand in. If the pier tube is beefy enough then no probs, you see some with big rectangles cut in them just for this purpose. However you can cut down on the size easily by fitting a length of studding to the mount, then cutting a hole in your pier just big enough to get an M whatever the size is nut and washer in there plus a box spanner/socket to tighten it up.

• Like 1

I wouldn't cut it larger then about a 1/3 the size of the diameter. So 140mm diameter I would cut a slot 40mm deep. Not sure how wide that would make it but I would imagine plenty big enough for your hand to fit to tighten the nut.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, philjay said:

Depends, if your using the plastic hand knob that comes with the mount then you need enough size to get your hand in. If the pier tube is beefy enough then no probs, you see some with big rectangles cut in them just for this purpose. However you can cut down on the size easily by fitting a length of studding to the mount, then cutting a hole in your pier just big enough to get an M whatever the size is nut and washer in there plus a box spanner/socket to tighten it up.

I will use a separate knob and screw , I don't really want a bird cage , needs to be slimline the pier adapter will be approx dia of tube , I was thinking of car disc but that will look to ugly , so will probably buy a pier adapter to suit ,