• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS not on wifi

Tweedledee

I've never had this problem before. EMS now only works on 4G on my phone. I can no longer access it via wifi on the phone or laptop yet every other website I've tried works on wifi with phone or laptop.

Windows Network Diagnostics reports...

"Problems found.

resource (www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts."

This happened after my Virginmedia box messed up halfway through a post I was submitting on the laptop earlier. I had to phone Virgin as the wifi wasn't working at all, and they found a problem and sent a signal through which sorted the wifi for everything bar EMS.

Can anyone help shed some light on this please.

We had an issue earlier this afternoon but that got sorted.  I'm currently on my phone typing this but it's connected to the wifi and it's working.

As it's only affecting EMS (and you were on EMS when your router packed up) I think it maybe a caching issue on the router or a DNS issue (again, on your router).  There is a way to clear the cache on a router or refresh the DNS lookup but I've not had to do it for years, give a minute.

Thanks Darren.

I would have consulted my in house computer tech guy wiz kid, but he went to bed early due to GCSE exams in the morning. :D

Ok, so forget the cache issue, I have been talking twaddle, this sounds more like to me to be a DNS issue on the router, as both your phone and pc cannot access the same website but other websites are ok.

There is a way I believe to reset the DNS lookup but without full specs of your router I would t like to suggest anything, if your son can't sort it perhaps give Virgin a call, sorry I can't be much more help.

Update, I'm certain it is a dns lookup issue with your ISP.  It can take up to 72 hrs (depending on the ISP) to clear their DNS cache on their systems.  This issue should clear itself up but Virgin might be able to do something sooner.

The fact it is only EMS (and you were using EMS at the time of failure) and EMS does not work on both phone and PC points to the above DNS issue at Virgin.

The reason it works on 4G is because you will be using a different ISP or access method.

Thanks Darren, off to bed now but might phone Virgin in the morning maybe just see what happens over 72 hours and use 4G.

Well, I had a fiddle.

Got a Run box up, typed in

ipconfig /flushdns

rebooted, but no change.

From what you have said, I was probably clearing the wrong cache. :lol:

Edited by Tweedledee

If its any consolation Pete I had a similar issue with EMS (ONLY EMS) yesterday but mine was saying the secure cert / protocol had failed. Some ISP providers use there own "proxy" server for web sites to cut traffic and try to maximise speed - hence everything other web site was ok. Unfortunately this does work like a "Cache" and is only refreshed by the ISP refresh parameters - so FlushDNS etc don't work in this case. I would guess by now its all working again like mine :)

Thanks Clive.

Still only working on 4G, so Daz might be right with the 72 hours. 

There was an issue with one of the DNS servers last night, but a quick fix corrected it. It's a bit odd that yours still has not updated, since I've never known it take longer than 24 hours, however this could be down to your ISP's policy on refreshing DNS updates.

If you use the ipconfig /flushdns command you must ensure that all browsers are closed.

You could also change your DNS settings to use the Google DNS servers: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using (dependent on how sophisticated your router is...)

Thanks Craig. 

I didn't need to mess with the google dns link thank you. All back to normal again now and working properly on wifi. It took a good 24 hours to right itself though. :)

Nice one, glad your back, at least that proves it was a Virgin DNS refresh issue.

Just need to phone Virgin now to ask why I'm paying for 150Mbps when I'm only averaging 30 down and 5 up. 4G gives me 30 down and 18 up!!

14 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Just need to phone Virgin now to ask why I'm paying for 150Mbps when I'm only averaging 30 down and 5 up. 4G gives me 30 down and 18 up!!

If they cant find anything at there end then Virgin will say ,most likely," if we send an engineer and can find nothing you will have to pay for the engineer's time" - i think that's £60+ last time I heard. Suggest Pete you plug in a laptop directly,via a cable not wireless, to the cable router and do some testing to see what speeds you get (keep the evidence).  What's 4G still haven't got reliable 2G here :D

1 hour ago, stash said:

If they cant find anything at there end then Virgin will say ,most likely," if we send an engineer and can find nothing you will have to pay for the engineer's time" - i think that's £60+ last time I heard. Suggest Pete you plug in a laptop directly,via a cable not wireless, to the cable router and do some testing to see what speeds you get (keep the evidence).  What's 4G still haven't got reliable 2G here :D

Thanks for that Clive. Will test it out plugged in first. :thumbsup:

A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from VM saying they were doing some improvements to the infrastructure in the East Mids and that the service may be restricted or down for up to 8 hours at some unspecified date in the beginning of June. I don't know if this has affected your area but so far I haven't noticed anything around here. Just fyi. :)

2 hours ago, Brantuk said:

A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from VM saying they were doing some improvements to the infrastructure in the East Mids and that the service may be restricted or down for up to 8 hours at some unspecified date in the beginning of June. I don't know if this has affected your area but so far I haven't noticed anything around here. Just fyi. :)

Useful information thanks Kim. That could explain it, cheers. :thumbsup: