Signing up for the East Midlands Stargazers is really quick and easy. Sign up using your email address, Facebook account or Twitter account, by using one of the buttons below.

Once you've signed up you'll be able to post in the forums to introduce yourself, customise your profile, exchange messages with other members of our community, and attend one of our monthly meetings to meet other members. We welcome members of all skill levels, from the complete beginner to the seasoned veteran of the skies.

seven_legs

Belper Sunday 17th June

seven_legs

Just letting people know that myself and rob will be going to the Belper site tomorrow night about 9.ish as it's looking good for the weather. 

if anyone's going then meet you there.

:)

tony

Bino-viewer

Hi Tony,

You mean Sunday 18th i take it ??

I might be able to pop up for a couple of hours.

It doesn't get dark till 23:00 mind...

seven_legs

Yes. Sorry meant Sunday the18th lol.

Yes we will there about 10ish

See there then:)

Derbyshire Dave

Might pop over for an hour. Looks great!:D

seven_legs

See you there Dave. We be leaving in about half an hour or so

Bino-viewer

Good to meet you both last night Tony and Rob, and to see you again Dave.

Two very impressive scopes you have there too. Thanks for the views through them. Best M57 i've seen for a long time.

My main aim last night was to do some Saturn viewing.

Due to its woefully low southern position at present, i can no longer see it from home, due to trees blocking it out.

But despite the pretty poor seeing conditions it was a pleasure to observe it again. I almost got a hint of Cassini.

I dont think my scope actually reached any sort of thermal equilibrium at all last night, and combined with the poor seeing,

haze, and June twilight it struggled a bit to show much, particularly deep sky stuff.

I was only planning a 2 hour session but it was nearly half one when i got home !

And its quite a novelty to see the thermometer reading 20ºC not only on arrival at 21:45, but on departure as well at 01:00hrs :lol:

Thanks for organising last nights meet. I quite like these Sunday night sessions.

Looking forward to the next one :)

Daz Type-R

Sounds like you had a good night, I had drank 1 too many (if there is such a thing) pints yesterday afternoon, so driving was well off the radar.

Tweedledee

I'm envious that you had such temperatures at Belper in the middle of the night. Most times I've been, it was barely above freezing if not below. Glad you all had a great time. :thumbsup:

seven_legs

Yeah it was a good night. Nice seeing Rob and Dave. 

Saw some nice objects and I think my favourite was the swan nebula and the wild duck cluster what we saw later on in the night. Oh and of course Saturn which I have not seen for years and even though it was through the murk it still looks great.

Never thought I would be wearing a tee shirt until 2:30 in morning at the Belper site.

i agree with Rob Sunday nights are good up there.

newtyng5

Yea it was a good night. Lots of cloud at the beginning, which cleared fairly quickly. Although the seeing wasn't great, we saw quite a lot. Saturn looked better just before we packed up at 2.30. could see rhea, in between Saturn and Titan, plus some cloud detail and cassini division. Highlights were, like seven_legs said, the swan nebula, and the wild duck cluster. Also M57, M27, and M13 put on a good show. Was great to meet Rob and Dave. Bring on the next clear Sunday (perfect if I am Nightshift Monday)