• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New and need advice

Usman Mughal nottingham

Hi all

im Usman living in bakersfield nottingham. Im 23 and working fulltime. I have a hobby of the night sky and viewing the milky way but have never seen it. Ive got mirrorless cameras which i can use but i just need the help of a former person who can guide me and also take me to a site and then drop me back in nottingham and im willing to pay for their expenses of transport as i dont drive. Im currently on a holiday but joined this amazing forum for us unlucky ppl in nottingham who cant see the deep sky from our back yards . If anyone can help that would be amazing. Thankyou all 

Welcome to EMS Usman. :)

I'm not in Nottingham, but I'm sure someone more local to you can help. If you get to one of the dark sites at Wymeswold, or darker still at Belper, you will be in for a treat. You'll not only see the Milky Way on a good night but should get chance to see lots of deep sky objects through telescopes. Get yourself some binoculars and you might see more than you expect from your backyard.

• Like 2

Hi Usman,  and welcome to EMS

We're a friendly bunch so please ask any questions you may have and someone will shout up. As Pete said, you would be suprised what you can see on a good night even with the awful light pollution we have. We have a couple of sites that we use which are fairly local. I'm sure someone might be able to help you out with a lift to one of our meets if you fancy coming alone sometime.

In the mean time, please enjoy the forum.

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks u really are an awesome bunch

ive got a few main questions though if u dnt mind answering them

1 which is the closest site to nottingham?

2 are the sites locked or open 24/7 for pol like me who can visit anytime anyday and have a great view or a relaxing time there

3 my whatsapp is +447944903457 so if any1 who has been to the sites closest to nottz then do contact me on whatsapp asap so i can keep in touch :) 

Hi Usman and welcome to EMS. :)

We only use the dark sites at night time - they are both cricket club grounds and are often in use for cricket during the daytime - especially during summer. Enjoy the forum!

• Like 1

The darksites are open to everyone when we have a monthly meet, but only to darksite members who have access to the sites at any other time. Darksite membership is £20 a year which gives you access to the sites whenever you want. First visit is free, so you can see if its what you are looking for. The money goes towards insurances and site fees. The only restrictions are that we can't use the sites when the cricket clubs are playing at home.

• Like 1

Is access allowed anytime of the year to the locations?

Sorry screen didnt refresh. So that means that if i have a membership then i can visit anytime 

by the way is it a safe site to go alone as i dnt eant to get mugfed with very expensive equipment?

and also is there a contact number which i can call to ask if the site isnt in use for cricket?

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Like mentioned above, the dark sites are rented off local cricket clubs, as it is summer, we are now into cricket season, so during the day, especially at weekends, the clubs have matches on, so during the day, we can't have access.

At night, we do have access, but the trouble is, as we are now into summer, we don't have skies dark enough, to observe deep sky objects (well at the moment it's still possible but only just).

The trouble is, from you, the closest dark site is at Wymeswold, Leicestershire, but Wymeswold is not the darkest of the 2 sites we rent. 

For Milky Way shots, your best off during winter at the Belper dark site, when it is proper Astro dark nice an early.

• Like 1

I dont mind going to the further off one but i would obviously need somewhere to stay for a day or 2 so i can make the most of it...

and for england east midland region whats the best months to view the milky way with naked eye ?? All months listed would be great thanks

And to answer your other questions, you can go to the sites on your own (once your a member) but these sites are open to the public, so there is always the chance there will be people about.

Members do go to the sites on their own, but it's a chance you take.

With regards to cricket matches, like I said above, we are full on into cricket season, so until September / October, the sites are in use during the day at the weekends.

• Like 1

how do i become a member and do i get a membership card or what through the post?

which months are best for viewing milky way? 

Milky Way naked eye at the Belper dark site, I would say October, November, December and January.

No member card or anything like that, your status on the forum would change (to darksite member) and you go from there.

Edited by Daz Type-R
  • Like 1

Thats great thanks for all the info

if you guys do have a whatsapp forward thing for updates on the meet ups plz do let me know or any one from nottingham who goes or can give lift and i will pay

We don't have a East Midlands Stargazers contact group like whatsap ETC, we arrange all our meets via the forum under the meets section in the Announcments section.

EMS is not a proper Astro society, it is an online forum that is run by volunteers, darksite payed for by the members and hosting paid for by sponsorship, we don't have our own observatory, and we rent the dark sites, hence why there are no membership cards, no news letters ETC.

We are just a bunch of Astro enthusiasts who live in the East Midlands (and some much farther afield).

• Like 1

To organise a meeting anyone can raise a thread in the "EMS Meets" section and invite folks to join them. Of course you have to watch the weather and arrangements can get cancelled at short notice in the event of bad conditions. I don't know if anyone uses whatsapp - but it best to let everyone know via the meetings board. :)

• Like 1

Well thats amazing to hear

and either way as long as its safe to go alone i dont mind . The real prob is going alone but being away from home 

Just curiously wondering what if i go to one of the locations listed above alone and i get lost in the darkness??

That's easily done cos they are both in country lanes, and not obvious when you get there, it can be a rats maze in the light, never mind the dark. What we often do is meet up at a nearby pub - especially if there are new folks coming - and then go to the site together from there with someone who knows the way. You would need to do this on your first attendance. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Usman Mughal nottingham said:

Just curiously wondering what if i go to one of the locations listed above alone and i get lost in the darkness??

As long as you don't go wondering off to far you'll be fine. I would usually try to get there in twilight so you can still see to set up.

• Like 1

Welcome to EMS Usman, I hope you enjoy the forum and your adventures ahead discovering and experiencing our amazing cosmos.

?

• Like 1

Thankyou guys

i hope when im back from holiday i can contact you and get together for a nyt out at one of the locations

1 hour ago, Usman Mughal nottingham said:

Thankyou guys

i hope when im back from holiday i can contact you and get together for a nyt out at one of the locations

Hope you are you on holiday somewhere exotic with pristine night skies. Have a great holiday. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Nope

amazing skies near me but not where i live. But if your interested in pakistans night sky then check out milky way shogran on google. Its amazing but never been. Hoping to go there on my next trip bcas this time im spending time with mrs and 3 year old son

14 minutes ago, Usman Mughal nottingham said:

Nope

amazing skies near me but not where i live. But if your interested in pakistans night sky then check out milky way shogran on google. Its amazing but never been. Hoping to go there on my next trip bcas this time im spending time with mrs and 3 year old son

Just googled that, and it is definitely a little bit better than Belper dark site. :D :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Im currently in pakistan gujrat so it would cost me including transport to there and back 250£ including rent and stay. 

By the way where u from?