• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling

philjay

No its not a star party thread. Just a little info about Kelling.

I was hoping to try and get there with my van for 4 nights in July just to try myself out to see if I could manage the star party later in the year (health wise) if a pitch came free.

Bare in mind I have been there 3 times with my set up of the van and awning in the past at star parties. They would not accept my booking because my van is not a full camper van, albeit it is insulated, carpeted, has a tv and camp bed, but because it does not say camper van on the log book they will not accept it.

Despite my saying I had been there 3 times previously with the same set up and all was fine, the jobsworth at the reception plus her supervisor were adamant they would not accept the van. so I parted with a cheery "OK then I expect you to refuse all the non camper vans at the starparty then" plus a cheerful "Bogger off" and I put the phone down. Very disappointing.

So be aware.

I realise that they do not want scruffy builders vans there but despite my assurances that the set up is respectable and was acceptable in the past they are not consistent in what is and isn't acceptable for booking.

As I do not intend to convert my van that is me out for any star parties from now on.

PS just booked into Foxhills down the road in Weybourne with absolutely no problems and half the price. OK its not as posh as Kelling, doesnt have a health spar but its comfy and in the right place next to Muckleborough Collection

How very strange.

The folks at Kelling seem to be doing everything they can to destroy their business.

What with the re-booking of pitches fiasco they put into place last year.

Now they are telling you what form of transport you can use. :nonono:

I thought they were selling camping pitches not vehicles. 

Surely it costs they same for a pitch whether you turn up in a van or a Roller.  

Just where do these people get off. :dontknow:

Unbelievable 

It's very frustrating Graham but I am sure there will be plenty of ordinary vans, non camper, at Kelling now and even at the star party. It's just that this dimmoo asked a question that she was not capable of understanding the answer to. Even when I said it's classed as a day van it didn't compute she just hid behind the rules, easier because she doesn't have to think.

Yep, they just don't seem to want custom.

Ridiculous - presumably they are accepting all the traders that turn up in their vans? The folks who run that place just make it up as they go along and it always seems to depend on which side of the bed they get out out of on the day.......

Can't understand them at all !!

Edited by Brantuk

That's just bonkers, only been doing Kelling 3-4 years but every year the rules seem to change, the staff get thicker and the rules more draconian. 

Muppets.

Well its simplified things for me, I wont book with them at all in future its too hard. I have been looking at getting a 2 berth tin snail next year, for star parties etc but I will be darned if I book in with them now. I would sooner book in at another local campsite then pop in on the saturday to say hello. They will probably have some ruling against that no doubt.

It's a shame they are not so hot on enforcing lights out in the cabins in the woods, or keeping vehicles back in the car park after a certain time.