• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Is nikon1 series j5 an ok camera for capturing the milky way?

Usman Mughal nottingham

Hmm well ive aborted my choice and finalised one camera so far out of the 3 . 

Canon eos 100d with kit lens 18-55mm for home fam etc

now plz plz guys just pick one based on what youve seen or if u have a friend of a friend who owns one and gets great night shots with it for a beginner 

which one would be best suited for milkyway single shots 

canon eos m with 22mm f2

or sony rx100 II

plz choose one as ive seen excellent reviews on both... ill list both and hav a read then brantuk and u guys tell me which u would choose out of the 2

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/sony-rx100-series-astrophotography-review/

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4103081

and theres only one pic with 22mm f2 but i find both cameras good but i like the eos m shape the retro sexy look. But then again guys u guys choose and ill go with the most reccomendations. I wish i could make a poll n put it up on ere

If you create a poll then be sure to create the category "Other" alongside the two camera choices. Cos that's the box I'll be ticking. A half decent dslr will work better in low light than either of them - and I'd be getting "body only" plus a fast widefield lens. Just my opinion but there you have it - the choice is ultimately yours. :)

• Like 1

Lol i can never win against Brantuk?

I know the choice is mine . But brantuk could you atleast help me out with just one thing... 

could u view the links and then trll me which ones pics look better atleast? Eos m or rx100 thats all? 

I did view the links and read the text - one even says it's not as good in low light as a dslr. :)

• Like 1

Yes i know its not as good as the dslr but im not comparing them to a dslr either. 

Im saying which one out of the 2 would you get? 

Have you considered the Fuji X100, a pretty awesome camera, I've had one in the past and loved it. It has a fixed 23mm F2 lens so pretty quick and wide.

Sorry to confuse things :popcorn:

• Like 1

Yeah ive considered that too but dont like the feel of it 

the eos m and the rx100 both feel gud

but i need an answer to which one would most people out there get it

I'm going to throw another spanner in the works now. 

With the Canon DSLR you can fit a light pollution filter into the body so any lens then used if filtered.

The Canon body is slightly shorter from mount face to sensor so most "other make" lenses can be fitted simply by using an adaptor. The adaptors don't need to have a degrading lens built in to achieve infinity focus.  Plenty of cheap lenses to choose from on the Bay. They will only work full manual but auto exposure and focus are useless for astro anyway.

• Like 1

Rx100 seems good like a tourist camera

but eos m to me seems better as i can get it cheaper with the 22mm f2 lens 

I have already mentioned the 14mm Samyang Clive but he ignored it.

It is a stunner though, really shows what dark skies can do.

No doc ive not ignored your suggestion or anyone elses from this forum.

everyone has different choices and everyone has budgets and needs. And like ive said above every1 helps by giving their opinions and thats great for me but the only single downside is that to be straight with all u guys i also love the samyang and all the reviews but i cant afford that lens right now. Just like the samyang id also love a high end high tec astro modded cam but by all means i dont have the cash in my pocket for that . One day if i win the euro millz tho ?

My current choices for this moment stand at the canon eos m with the 22mm f2 lens for astro

and canon eos 100d when prices fall further as the 200d is coming out then ill grab that :) 

• 6 months later...

Time for me to throw my hat into the ring. I cannot vouch for the Nikon 1 but have a D3200 and (until recently) had a 18-55 lens. For Milky Way shots, I used ISO 800, 18mm focal length and 30 seconds exposure. For the Milky Way near Cygnus, you can use 45 seconds.  I also use Deep Sky Stacker and GIMP (both free) to enhance the photos. Also, my "snaps" are taken from suburbia. Here's a few:

Milky Way August 15th 2015

CassiopeiaY16JAug30

CepheusY16JAug04

ZenithY16OctD04

LyraY17MayD27

PartOfCygnusY17MayD27

• 2 years later...

I've tried using a focal reducer to get to 8mm focal length but it does not work well. I find about 16-20mm works best with ISO 800 or 1600 and 30 seconds exposure. I don't have a fixed focal length lens and it may be a possible upgrade later. Although I've shot small constellations in the plane of the Milky Way at 70mm focal length, the really widefield ones stand out best at a shorter focal length.

I use DSS to stack images, sometimes Microsoft ICE and edit using GIMP.

This type of setup also works for meteors but works best with a higher ISO and shorter exposure.

• 3 months later...
On 25/06/2017 at 01:52, newtyng5 said:

Like astronigel said. Are you doing unguided photos?. Please come to the next dark sky meet (belper or wymeswold) , you will see the milky way from these sites, and if you wish to photo it, that is possible too.

Any ideas when these dark sky meets will start again? Wymeswold is not too far from me.

thanks Paul Tomo 

4 minutes ago, Paul Tomo said:

Any ideas when these dark sky meets will start again? Wymeswold is not too far from me.

thanks Paul Tomo 

Hi Paul, check the dark site thread here, the last bit of the 1st post by Daz

6 hours ago, philjay said:

Hi Paul, check the dark site thread here, the last bit of the 1st post by Daz

I can’t mate I’ve not got the permission to see it👎

15 hours ago, Paul Tomo said:

I can’t mate I’ve not got the permission to see it👎

OK, The gist is Wymeswold we are governed by the owners, etc and they havent opened it yet. Belper is open but with restrictions

We have permission to use the Belper site but under restrictions. Only existing darksite members at the moment I'm afraid. As things change well keep everyone informed. 

Thanks