• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mirror cell mock up

Tweedledee

• 1 month later...

A bit more messing about with the mirror cell. :)

Graham recently machined some bespoke aluminium flanges for the collimation adjusters to pass through, and they are perfect for the job. The threaded rods are M10 stainless steel and will allow collimation from the top of the mirror box using the knurled knobs. Got some knurled locking nuts coming from ebay. Graham is also responsible for the superb water jet cut whiffletrees and the 6 trefoils, all aluminium. Very pleased at how it is coming together. :)

20170807_190701s.jpg?raw=1

20170807_210017s.jpg?raw=1

20170807_190900s.jpg?raw=1

20170807_190628s.jpg?raw=1

Must get that Baltic Birch mirror re-aluminised. :lol:

20170807_191040s.jpg?raw=1

• Like 1

Very well engineered ! Hope you are either very strong or have a JCB - that's going to weigh quite a bit I would have thought if the plywood is staying - what do you estimate the weight to be when all finished Pete?

6 minutes ago, stash said:

Very well engineered ! Hope you are either very strong or have a JCB - that's going to weigh quite a bit I would have thought if the plywood is staying - what do you estimate the weight to be when all finished Pete?

Thanks Clive.

I plan for it to weigh only marginally more than my 14". It will be far heavier when I put an eyepiece in. :D

The plywood mirror box will be strategically reduced and far less bulky than you see above, but structurally triangulated for strength in the right places. It won't look much like a hexagon when I've done, but will be something far more stealth like. There will be some lightweight super rigid carbon fibre structure to come. I intend for it to be very quick to strip down and set up. It will go into the car in three or hopefully just two pieces and fit together with just one or at most two hand tightening bolts. It will be a radically different design to almost any other dob. A grab 'n go 20"!!!! :D

• Like 2