• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

National Space Centre (Leicester)

M.

I was thinking about taking the wife and our two nephews early next month.

Any members here been?

Yeah, went last year when there was a whole Doctor Who convention on, it was wicked.

But if your going and there is no extras on, it's OK, looking a bit dated but still a decent day out, like all places like this, there is plenty to read and learn.

I went with the kids about 7 years ago and we all had a wonderful time. There was a large planetarium with a spectacular and educational 3D space show, which I thought was a real highlight among loads of other really interesting stuff. :thumbsup:

I try to go with the kids at least once a year. And we always have a good day. The planetarium is great.

Well, the ticket prices seem fair, and I can't afford a visit to the Kennedy space centre just yet ? 

Been a few times, its ok if you have a child with you.  A few interesting exhibits, a whole Soyuz spacecraft in the entrance and they've just put in one of the runway landing test craft versions of the Gemini spacecraft (they built two versions to test landing it with an undercarriage and parawing).  A lot of it is a bit kiddified but not bad.  What does annoy me is things like they charge you separately a few quid for parking before you even go in, and its not that cheap on the door - although you can retain your ticket for a years free entrance saying that.  And the credit card option to pay on the parking machine requires such genius as that exhibited by Feynman, Newton or Einstein. It doesnt work anyway...

But otherwise its a nice day out.  And lets face it, decent space/astronomy days out in the UK are slim pickings!  Oh, and bring a packed lunch.  The cafe is the usual extortion/inedible.  But then thats pretty much par for the course at anything like this!

It's good for a one off visit with kids - but the first year I went back for a second visit it was all exactly the same with no noticeable change. Even after leaving a few years between visits it doesn't change much (if at all). Could do with a little imagination and regular updates on points of scientific interest - and maybe a few new exhibits form time to time.

Great for kids - long in the tooth for adults - and don't buy anything in the gift shop or the cafe unless you have money to burn. :)