• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Got one at last, kigfisher

philjay

Thanks chaps. I have fond childhood memories of Kingfishers, my dad and I would watch them fishing by a bridge in a village near where I was brought up. They were a regular sight. But its been ages since I have seen one this close. Usually all I see is a blue flash as they dart past. This one was at Willington reserve, here's the wider view.

Kingfisher.jpg

Edited by philjay
  • Like 3

I just love Kingfishers - I remember watching one fishing from a fence in Sun City - fascinating little birds and a smashing shot Phil. :)

Awwe, lovely pic. Gorgeous colourful bird. There's a place in the North East along the river Tyne (Ryton) where these birds can be seen. But the reserve have hides to go in which makes it a lot easier to catch them without startle. Great pic.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Doc said:

A very convenient stick, ideal for a photographer :lol::thumbsup:

These are placed there by the reserve wardens for this very reason Mick. Both Drakelow and Willington have them in the birds favorite fishing areas. I have spent ages at Drakelow waiting for one to come along and pose but nothing, then 1st time out at Willington the little fella obliged.