• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Light up the sky

Tweedledee

Great that is all we need. 

If there wasn't enough junk up there already. 

Now we have to put up with an orbiting Street light. 

If there is any justice in this crazy world that rocket will blow up during launch. 

• Like 1

I don't agree.

I enjoy looking at Iridium flares, and they are soon supposed to be becoming a thing of the past.

From our latitudes i don't suppose we will see it that often anyway ? Especially as its cloudy 90 % of the time anyway.

And i'm sure it won't be a long term thing.

17 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I don't agree.

I enjoy looking at Iridium flares, and they are soon supposed to be becoming a thing of the past.

From our latitudes i don't suppose we will see it that often anyway ? Especially as its cloudy 90 % of the time anyway.

And i'm sure it won't be a long term thing.

I too enjoy the brief glimpse of the flares even the lucky capture of one in the middle of a long sub.

My point was things like the Iridium sats were sent up there for a reason to do a job.

From my understanding of the report this monstrosity is being sent up there for no good reason other than purely because it can be.

This pyramid satellite is called Mayak, Russian for beacon.

Apparently Mayak is going to shine at magnitude -10. :o

The moon is -12.

If you are out on a moonless night searching out some faint galaxies, don't look at Mayak unless you don't mind losing your dark adaptation for 15 minutes. At least it should only take 5 minutes to pass across the sky.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Bring it on.

-10 Magnitude ?  I'll believe it when i see it....

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been launched. It's already showing on heavens above, even though the Russians want you to join the rocket bank to track it!!

1 hour ago, tuckstar said:

So it's been launched. It's already showing on heavens above, even though the Russians want you to join the rocket bank to track it!!

Just checked on Heavens Above as far as September, and it is always a daylight pass or an unlit pass.

So our dark adaptation is safe for a while. :)

I would actually have appreciated the chance to have a quick peek at it passing over at mag -10. :lol: