• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Camera question-upgrade

Bottletopburly

Currently have a 1000D now  I could get it modded £120 ish  or do I sell it and buy a 1100 that has video , I would get £100  for my camera and have £110  birthday funds so do I hang on save a bit and purchase a modded 1100 from  cheapastrophotography  or is there another model worth saving a bit more for 

Theres another option for having it modded fairly locally. This chap is actually based 5 miles from me in Derby.

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/index.htm

I've asked about having a 6D modded, but nobody seems to want to touch them....

Having said that 'Cheap Astro' have one for sale, so maybe they might ?

• Like 1

Andy at astronomiser is a good bloke and has done lots of mods but there is another option... get a blocking filter and do it yourself. I did my 1000d in a morning following one of the many online guides there are around. It was a little nerve wracking but straightforward enough and no complications

• Like 2

Andy from Astronomiser(moored at Long Eaton(?) marina at the moment !) is taking 1 month(his quote) at the moment and costs more - depends on the type of mod. Cheap Astrophotography http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk have just done my Canon 100d - no problems so far - only took 1 week and was cheaper. Plus they sell second hand cameras that have been modified. Look up his work on SGL lots of other people have used Juan's services.

• Like 1

I believe Andy is now located (fairly permanently i think) at Mercia Marina at Willington, Derby.

I've asked him about doing my 6D but he didn't want to know.

Now looking at 'Cheap Astro'........but not sure what to do /

I brought my 6D with the definite intention of getting it modded sometime in the future,

but have not ruled out keeping it as it is, and getting a cheaper modded (APS-C) alternative.

• Like 2

Thanks chaps , Juan at  cheapastrophotography does seem to have a   good following  and have only heard good things  , I may jump up to the 1100D and sell the 1000D  ,decisions, would need to get the one with baader filter so I can still use as normal , looked on astrono miser looks like he is scaling his work load back would probably use juan .

Good luck with it David.......let us know how you get on.

I'll be contacting Juan myself sometime soon i think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bino-viewer said:

Good luck with it David.......let us know how you get on.

I'll be contacting Juan myself sometime soon i think.

Will do :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

Thanks chaps , Juan at  cheapastrophotography does seem to have a   good following  and have only heard good things  , I may jump up to the 1100D and sell the 1000D  ,decisions, would need to get the one with baader filter so I can still use as normal , looked on astrono miser looks like he is scaling his work load back would probably use juan .

I didn't have the Baader filter mod as its Astro only - BUT I have done some pictures during the day and so long as you set the settings correctly(Juan send a How To ) it seems to work ok during the day - but then I am not a photographer :rofl:

Well  have just bought a 500D s/h for £130  19k clicks , body & charger only off flea bay , looks in good nick will sell the 1000D once I get it up and running , was going for 1100D off the same seller for £109 but seen the 500d for not a lot more mod will have to wait a bit but will have it done .