• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Solar observers - Let this be a lesson to you...

Dean Watson

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/828381/bbc-weather-forecast-hot-uk-heatwave-news?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DX%2FSolarFlareUK&utm_term=DX%2FSolarFlareUK&utm_content=DX%2FSolarFlareUK

Now lets not get started on what utter, utter bottom gravy this is... Predicting solar flares 3 weeks ahead, having an adverse effect to the degree described on weather etc, nauseating etc.

What i'm really getting at is, as astronomers, amateur or otherwise who hopefully talk reasonably good science on the whole, what chance have we got when a national newspaper posts such drivel to be read by the largely uniformed (no crime in that) masses who take this stuff as red/read (which one is is it by the way, I'm never sure!).  

I give up.  I think i'm going to sell up my gear, keep the charts and planisphere and take up astrology!  (amazed, thought the bad language checker would pick that word up - note to moderators...)

And the Moon landings?  Saw the mountain ranges they filmed them in on the A Team the other night, they just used black and white film so you couldn't see the blue sky.

Bring me my tinfoil helmet!  Nurse Nurse!  More of those funny tasting Smarties.

What a load of old b------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ladderdash

I nearly typed somehthing else then :evil:

Well I'm looking forward to this heatwave. After returning from the south of France (we saw the fires), and 30+ degrees everyday and 25 every night, it has been a bit of a shock coming back to UK weather. Of course The Express is always right and my weather apps are way out predicting maximums of 21 c for the foreseeable future.

What absolute drivel!!! :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

I'm suprised the Express gets the date right on its front cover :rofl:

Or indeed it's own name... but let's face it, they're all guilty to one degree or another. I mean, even the BBC can barely spell anymore.

23 minutes ago, DeanWatson said:

Or indeed it's own name... but let's face it, they're all guilty to one degree or another. I mean, even the BBC can barely spell anymore.

very true