• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC185 dwarf spheroidal galaxy -july 27 2017

stash

Mag 10 Dwarf Galaxy - also known as Cadwell 18  bit beyond my scope 2.8 mil yrs from Cranwell

1310378.png

ngc185-ngc186.png

• Like 2

Very nice Clive, they make an interesting pair of Local Group galaxies. :thumbsup:

Lovely shot Clive! ?

Its nice to see images of galaxies, especially when you get more than one in the same frame.

Is that NGC 147 (mag +9.4) nearly a degree away from NGC 185?

50 minutes ago, Smithysteve said:

Lovely shot Clive! ?

Its nice to see images of galaxies, especially when you get more than one in the same frame.

Not sure about  NGC147 being in the picture  or not 

3 hours ago, Smithysteve said:

Lovely shot Clive! ?

I thought both galaxies were in there at first Steve, but only NGC185, on the left is a sixth mag star. NGC147 is just slightly above the top right corner of the image.

42 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

I thought both galaxies were in there at first Steve, but only NGC185, on the left is a sixth mag star. NGC147 is just slightly above the top right corner of the image.

That's all sorted then Pete! We just need Clive to do it all again and point a bit more to the right and up, or left and down, depending on scope orientation! ?

3 hours ago, stash said:

Not sure about  NGC147 being in the picture  or not 

Thanks Clive, this got us digging and delving... Thanks for that! ?

This sort of thing does get you looking a bit deeper... NGC 185 and NGC 147 are both gravitationally bound and satellite galaxies of M31 but they lie a bit closer than M31 at 2.08 million light years.

Keep grabbing these off the beaten track DSO's Clive. :2thumbsup: 

Following in the steps of the Herschels. William first bagged 185 in the eyepiece in 1787, and John discovered 147 in 1829. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tweedledee said:

Yes on the larger image ,not the crop,you can just get the "glow" of a Galaxy top right  - I thought that was NGC186 - oh well I havent looked at my Sat Nav :D

Thanks for the info Lads !!:notworthy:

• Thanks 1