• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

latitude eq6 mod

Bottletopburly

Was thinking of doing the eq6 latitude mod seeing as the pier is taking shape and i really need to make latitude adjustment a bit smoother than it is , ,so after looking around at various mods i was just going to put a block in front of the latitude tab ,tapped down then i stumbled upon a french  site with the best mod to date one that sits onto the tab ,and even better a drawing for it ,does anyone have a ball park figure as how much it would cost to have one of these milled or would it be better to say have a batch done of say ten and sell the others,Also under the logo covers on one side there is three screws i think they are grub screws does anyone know what these are for,pictures attached  thanks .  

art_modifEQ6_12.jpg

Photo 06.jpg

art_modifEQ6_19.jpg

The grub screws provide the tension on the pivot.

Basically they are a clamp that pushes a plate onto the base of the mount to stop it flexing from side to side.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Graham said:

The grub screws provide the tension on the pivot.

Basically they are a clamp that pushes a plate onto the base of the mount to stop it flexing from side to side.

Thanks graham 

In answer to your first question as I can't post photos from my phone watch this space for when I get home.  ;) ;)

You mean you want something like this.

If you are going to Kelling I can bring it with me or if not PM me your address.

5988929b88a1b_EQ6Latmod.r.thumb.jpg.7181f6d0251f6d65996ff98e85083772.jpg

The other side.

598893fc5d51d_EQ6Latmod2.r.thumb.jpg.2d8a3304d8021171ba215ca8bf05d29a.jpg

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exactly graham will pm you just let me know how much? Your a star 

9 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

Exactly graham will pm you just let me know how much? Your a star 

Same price as I charge all EMS members for small odd bits and pieces. ;);)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Top man Graham, your a credit to the astro community, another top job!

:thumbsup:

:notworthy:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mod now installed , just need to reset altitude ,screwed on dry with a sprung washer ,may go back at a later date and add epoxy resin once i know everything's ok ,covers completely wrecked ,i assume previous owner used  epoxy resin after adding a plastic washer ,will replace at a later date though silicon will suffice or contact adhesive ,

Edited by Bottletopburly

Had a play earlier and initial thoughts are this is definitely a mod worth doing movement seems really smooth compared to before ,which was jerky and stiff and usually meant you were fighting to get at the correct elevation and you overshot whilst eyeing through the polarscope ,set angle using my iphone  to 52° so shouldn`t be miles away once i PA next time i setup which probably won't be for a while ,oh and if you do decide to do this mod don't do what i did, make a  mark where the latitude scale is DOH:facepalm:.