• Join the East Midlands Stargazers today!

You can register an account easily by clicking here or by using your Facebook or Twitter account. Once you've joined you'll be able to post on the message boards and get to know astronomers in your local area!

Sign in to follow this  
BAZ

Road Trip

BAZ    714
BAZ

Are we there yet? 

The old girl has been taken to Orion Optics for a spruce up. Hi-Lux coatings, front and back and a good service and tune up. I can't wait! :)

20170812_085343_zpsgrxuwyg2.jpg

tuckstar    327
tuckstar

Nice one Martyn. Should get some good views at kelling. Have you just dropped off the mirror or the whole scope?

Edited by tuckstar

BAZ    714
BAZ

The whole tube. I might have to have a new secondary, as the original owner glued the two heater resistors on. If, when they come to remove them, it takes any glass with it then the mirror is toast. It causes stress which distorts the front face.

The scope was one of the first Flex-tubes and I think the original owner had it a couple of years before I picked it up off him, so she is due for a bit of spa treatment and a professional looking at.

I am going to spend the afternoon mooching through the rest of my astro clobber.

Graham    1,183
Graham

If you dont mind me asking what is the cost of re-coating the main mirror or are you just having the hilux coating applied 

BAZ    714
BAZ

The Hi-lux work on the main mirror is £142.00 + Vat. Secondary is £50.00 + Vat.

I am assuming the original coating will be stripped off and new hi-lux coating applied. 

Graham    1,183
Graham
11 hours ago, BAZ said:

The Hi-lux work on the main mirror is £142.00 + Vat. Secondary is £50.00 + Vat.

I am assuming the original coating will be stripped off and new hi-lux coating applied. 

Thanks Martyn.

Let us know what they do.

Gives me a ball park figure for when I get my mirror finished ready for coating.

BAZ    714
BAZ

Not going to be ready until Tuesday now, so will be collecting it next Saturday. Ah well, I still can't wait. :telescope:

tuckstar    327
tuckstar
1 hour ago, BAZ said:

Not going to be ready until Tuesday now, so will be collecting it next Saturday. Ah well, I still can't wait. :telescope:

Bring it along to ww for its first light matey.

BAZ    714
BAZ

I am just sorting through the Astro kit as we speak. My Eyepieces have just had the spa treatment with the wonder fluid, they look brand new again. It's got all the snot and fingerprints off from the last outings, particularly the Baader Zoom which inevitably gets used for outreach events. 

If the weather looks like playing ball I will  bring it along for it's first outing with it's new coat on. :)