• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

computer geek question please

Sheila

I made a post putting two images of NGC7000.  The first one was stacked in maxim dl on a windows 8 machine then saved in maxim

as a TIF file.  The file was awful and difficult to process as there were lots of strange artifacts on colour spots in the corners, you can see

one I think in the bottom right of the 1st image.  I had to crop heavily.

I went back to my windows 7 machine and did exactly the same thing will all the settings checked and identical in maxim and

photoshop.  All stacked well no artifacts seen and a breeze to process.  any ideas from anyone??

Edited by Sheila

Was one 32bit and the other 64? I've had issues in the past trying to process in 64bit on a windows 7 machine. I have no idea why, what or how but it's happened.

8 hours ago, Sheila said:

I went back to my windows 7 machine and did exactly the same thing will all the settings checked and identical in maxim and

photoshop.

You didnt mention Photoshop process on the Windows 8 version - did you do the same ?????

1. Are the Maxim versions/Photoshop version the same  on both machines?

or try http://forum.diffractionlimited.com

Edited by stash

3 hours ago, stash said:

You didnt mention Photoshop process on the Windows 8 version - did you do the same ?????

1. Are the Maxim versions/Photoshop version the same  on both machines?

or try http://forum.diffractionlimited.com

yes all the same as far as i can see, obviously the process in photoshop could vary, but the actual start TIF image after stacking exactly the same is different

when opened in photoshop on the win 7 and win 8 machine, so something is wrong when converted to TIF from maxim, the win 8 machine the image is awful

on the win 7 machine image is perfect

4 minutes ago, Sheila said:

yes all the same as far as i can see, obviously the process in photoshop could vary, but the actual start TIF image after stacking exactly the same is different

when opened in photoshop on the win 7 and win 8 machine, so something is wrong when converted to TIF from maxim, the win 8 machine the image is awful

on the win 7 machine image is perfect

Try deleting any stacking temp files on the Windows 8.1 machine and restack - On DSS I have ahd funnies cured after removing all but the pictures files and restacked I presume Maxim DL does the same. Else leave a message on the Forum (Maxim) and see if they will look at it - thats why you paid for the software - the support 

i have done new stacks several times on each machine, results are the same, i dont know really what to ask.....

it is very strange that all setting are the same, the data is the same but the TIFS from each machine are very different :wacko: 

will keep having a play, but if all else fails will have to go back to using old machine again