• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sky-Watcher AZ GTi WiFi Alt-Az Mount & Tripod and atik infinity colour camera

Guest bob_Garton

Guest bob_Garton

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some expert advice on the new skywatcher mount.

I have always been into visual work but now that i have a william optics megrez 90 i am thinking of mounting it on this new mount.

With this setup i want to purchase the atik infinity colour camera so i can start working on short exposures to image the brighter dso's and planets.

I have read that the software which comes with the camera can compensate for field rotation but im not 100% sure how effective that will be.

I do not want to get seriously into astro photography i just want a easy to use set up that i can share with friends and family and enjoy.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Rob

Edited by bob_Garton

Hi Rob.

From what I have read up on this new mount it will not be suitable for imaging.

It is really for light weight visual grab and go stuff.

It will probable prove to be too wobbly with your scope and a camera on top of it as it only has a 5 Kg load capacity.

To be imaging you need to be looking at a mount with roughly a capacity of double the weight of your kit.

The go to might be OK but the encoders have a reported tolerance of 20 arc mins which is a fair chunk of space to be off target .

For the cost of one of these I would be inclined to put a bit more money in and get yourself a second hand HEQ5.

Guest bob_Garton

Graham my sights are on the Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO Synscan. 

I will cancel my order with FLO for the freedom find and get this mount instead. i already have a eq5 but upgrading that would probably do me no favors either. 

Many thanks for your help.

All the best.

Rob.

Guest bob_Garton

Thanks Graham,

I would love to come to one of your meetings later in the year. going to wales in 2 weeks under dark skies so hopefully clears sky's will prevail.

I feel a bit bad considering when i joined east midlands stargazing and not visited since. i plan to change that and learn from the best! 

Many thanks bud

All the best 

Rob

If you need to see/try the HEQ5 Pro, I don't live too far from you at Newark. You are welcome to visit, just  PM first :thumbsup:

Guest bob_Garton

Thanks Ron,

Will prob take you up on that offer and bring my scope and balance to see if i need a new dovetail.

also on the subject of the HEQ5 will i need something to connect to with sky safari 5 on my tablet?

Any feedback on that will be great :-)

Many Thanks

Rob

Best thing to run the HEQ5 is eqmod. 

It is a free program that will allow you to use many star chart programs along with a myriad of other stuff.