• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Anymore ideas ?

cosmic dave

OK I have been working on the advertising side of next weekends meeting at gib point. Has anyone got any ideas how else to promote the evening ? I have contacted Radio Lincs and Lincs FM put up posters in the vine hotel and gib point itself. will be doing the local libraries and tourist centres tomorrow. and contacted the Louth Leader, East Coast Target, Skegness Standard, Lincolnshire Echo, Horncastle News, Boston Target, and Boston Standard. It is also posted on stagazers lounge, society of popular astronomy and sky at night forums.

Anything else ? :wacko:

As long as we get more than 6 people I will be happy Ron. LOL think this mornings efforts should help a little, I was wondering if I should invite look north and midlands today !

Guest Fluke

Have you got a Twitter account? You could post the details using popular Astronomy and local tags... E.g. #astronomy, #skegness, #skeggy etc

Do I need to bring my Dad along ?

Absoloutly Paul. He did a cracking job last time. :D

Have you got a Twitter account? You could post the details using popular Astronomy and local tags... E.g. #astronomy, #skegness, #skeggy etc

I have I will do that tomorrow, thanks

pm sent, do i just do a tweet and add these # tags ? :blink:

Just a thought and i don`t know what you guys think? Will we have a list of primary targets for observation by visitors? There are the obvious ones like Venus, Mars and Saturn, but what about some of the better Globular Clusters and also some of the brighter galaxys rather than just randon objects. After all we are inviting members of the general public to join us not just to observe the meteor shower but also the other objects in the night sky, and as we would do with any other guests at our house etc, we should do all we can not just to make them feel welcome but also to allow the visitors to appreciate some of the better deep sky objects and not just some random smudge in the eyepiece.

Any thoughts on this?

I can even knock some sheets up in the office next week to hand out to visitors so that they can read some basic information (in red light naturally) about the objects that they are looking at. Just a sinsle A4 sheet with information about the Planets being observed, the dso`s being observed and not to forget the meteor shower.

That sounds like a good idea Mark. Don't forget the ISS pass over. it Will be nice to all meet up again let's hope its not foggy. Lol

Good idea, but will we need to sort out what scopes are looking at what??

It is only an idea and we may well decide to do something completely different but i think it would be of benefit to everyone including ourselves. i just thought it would keep us a little more organised and we can all make out like we know what we are doing. :D I am easy and will do whatever everyone else wants.

We have a good choice of Globulars, M3, M13, M92, M53.

Galaxys, M81, M82, M65, M66, M95, M96, M64, M104.

Lots of nice open clusters. 1 or 2 Planetary Nebula.

Fingers crossed that it stays clear.