Please click here to read an announcement about EMS and the coronavirus.

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
BAZ

Cassini's final days.

BAZ

The 15th of September will see the end of a truly inspiring mission by Cassini. For me this has produced some of the greatest science from the Planet Saturn and it's moons, but without doubt, some of the most jaw dropping images I have seen.

I will be sad to see this amazing bit of engineering disappear into the planet, I hope that there is more surprises to come from the final data and the mission team can rightly be proud of this.

Watch the end here!

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/grand-finale/grand-finale-orbit-guide/

Big Al

I can't begin to imagine what Carolyn Porco and her colleagues will be thinking on Friday... :(

Edited by Big Al

BAZ

Yeah. I cannot tell you why, but I do feel emotional when something like this happens, it makes no sense to have any feelings for a machine, but it happens.

Carolyn and the team can hopefully feel really proud of an absolutely stunning mission that will be chucking up surprises for years to come.

2 days, 17 hours and 8 minutes as we speak.

Bino-viewer

Yes, sorry to see it go, but they've had an amazing voyage over the last 20 or so years. :clap2:

I'd like to think in my lifetime (i'm 50) they can perhaps send out a similar mission to visit Uranus & Neptune.

Wishful thinking.....? 

BAZ

That would be an epic mission to watch. I suppose it's how tight purse strings are and how political messing about will influence any decisions. I would love to see HD shots of these planets and attendant moons.

RonC

Watching a program about it last weekend, the phrase that struck me was when it was launched most people were using a ZX 81 !! That technology has lasted nearly 20 years and in a hostile environment, some build!! RIP Cassini !

stash

:o "RIP Cassini" - Gosh I thought it was a spacecraft didn't know it was a real living thing :P

BAZ

I watched this live on NASA/JPL live feed. It still felt sad when the signal strength went. Cracking mission here's to many more with such a great team.

stash
12 minutes ago, BAZ said:

I watched this live on NASA/JPL live feed. It still felt sad when the signal strength went. Cracking mission here's to many more with such a great team.

As Hannibal Smith would say - "love it when it comes together" and it did nothing sad just great human Ingenuity ,thought,planning etc - plus a slice of luck. Pity Colin Pillinger's Mars probe didn't get that bit of luck - now that was sad.

Edited by stash

BAZ

Agreed there Clive, I am glad they found it and it hadn't missed altogether or gone in and made a new crater. Unfortunately the engineering just didn't work that day. 

I have to admit, I am a bit tremerous about the JWST, that has something ridiculous like 273 moving parts and over a hundred locks that all have to work flawlessly. That's a big ask out where they are placing that, nit to mention the optics being aligned. I hope they check the mirrors before they fling it up, eh NASA!