• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Targets for Kelling 2017

BAZ

Kicking this one off with three Planets. All in a line below Regulus just before sunrise are Venus, Mars and Mercury. Mercury will be tricky as it is only 4° above the horizon when best placed before it gets too light.

Go on then, what are you aiming to see/ image that you haven't done before?

hopefully with the clear skies i`ll stay up and wait for the horse head nebula for certain, i love imaging that and with the kelling skies being so better than home the wall shows up so well.

Yeah same as Rob but based on last year it didn't get above those trees till 4ish and we where at least a week later last year! I'm going to try and finish my 3 year opus of the narrowband mosaic of the Heart and Soul have data from 16 of the heart 17 (part of the Soul) somebody had there camera in the wrong plane Rob) want to get the top of the Soul and neubulous regions around heart phew 

Edited by Allan the Plumber

Well I think I am gonna try Cedeblad 214 but not sure finally yet.  Should be doable for the whole night :)  wont get 7822 in the frame

and not really up to speed on mosaics, so will stick with single target I think.  It may change but I do like the look of it

Edited by Sheila

About 6-8 pints a night minimum!  ??

On a stargazing note, I like the idea of Martyn's, so going to go for the planets on show, will have another attempt for any Messier's that I have not bagged yet (getting difficult though as most of the ones I need are low down) see if any asteroids / comets are on offer and then anything and everything that other people are looking at.

Carolines Rose (NGC7789) was a new one for me last year at Kelling and I have not seen it since, so will have another look at that.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

I will be happy with clear skies and good company.  :)

good company is always guaranteed with the EMS lot :D

Just looking forward to getting out and imaging after what seems like months!! Not picked a target yet....

a few visual targets to consider

Veil with and without O3 filter

NGC 6826 blinking planetary

NGC 6543 cats eye

NGC7923 helix

M76 bow tie

NGC891

NG 1499

NGC6946

If I can get the kit set up and working I'll be more than happy to be honest. I'll probably start with something like the bubble and surrounding area as that was pretty much the last target I tried properly about 4years ago with the DSLR. If I get everything sorted this will be the first DSO imaging I have done since buying the CCD rig 3 and a half years ago! And first light for my kit proper.

8 hours ago, Allan the Plumber said:

Yeah same as Rob but based on last year it didn't get above those trees till 4ish and we where at least a week later last year! I'm going to try and finish my 3 year opus of the narrowband mosaic of the Heart and Soul have data from 16 of the heart 17 (part of the Soul) somebody had there camera in the wrong plane Rob) want to get the top of the Soul and neubulous regions around heart phew 

My camera was in the right place, it was yours that was wrong L.O.L

35 minutes ago, red dwalf said:

My camera was in the right place, it was yours that was wrong L.O.L

no it wasn't Rob:D you showed me how to line up the chip to be centred with the scope i did that :ph34r:

Some great replies there folks. :)

I might have a go at an "Impossible" visual target, the California Nebula. Apparently very difficult to find let alone see.

As many NGC's I can clap eye's on and all the Planetary Nebulas that are listed in August Astronomy Now. I saw the Helix last year, it's low down and massive, it's not far off the size of the full moon.

I had to buy a new battery for the scope today, one of the infamous Baz batteries has called it a day. The new one is a larger capacity and will stand being run flat, so a somewhat expensive silver lining eh!

I'm hoping to do more visual this year and bag a few Messiers.

Also Mars, Venus & Mercury and may have a go at imaging the Horsehead.

Taking my Quark Chromosphere eyepiece too for daytime entertainment :)

38 minutes ago, TasKiNG said:

I'm hoping to do more visual this year and bag a few Messiers.

Also Mars, Venus & Mercury and may have a go at imaging the Horsehead.

Taking my Quark Chromosphere eyepiece too for daytime entertainment :)

I'd be keen to try and grab a look at the quark if you don't mind ;)

1 minute ago, Perkil8r said:

I'd be keen to try and grab a look at the quark if you don't mind ;)

No problem Mike. I bought it a while ago but not really spent the time to set it up properly so will be nice to try it out :)

Not to mention the 5 years minimum in service as a fire alarm battery before that. They were definitely quality batteries to start with.

My Baz battery is still good, all charged and ready for action! Checked the tent and I think it has grown, it seems a lot bigger than I remember. It's all in tip top condition ready for use for the first time in about 4 years to my reckoning.