• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Alt/Az Mount build diary

Doc

Done a little more today. The plates are getting to size now and it's all looking good.

Frxfvq.jpg

Making a mess 

ELQmsX.jpg

Milling controls of the power feed I built.

vWDw6j.jpg

JxO8QO.jpg

All sides squared and to the correct measurements.

fH5NLh.jpg

With front piece included. Just need to drill, tap and bolt it all together.

Just found this Mick (thanks for the message.)

Impressive start to an interesting project ! I will follow your progress closely.

My discs are 6" in diameter with the PTFE the same at 1/4 inch.

The DM6 is designed with a 40 lb payload capacity / with OTAs upto 12" SCT class or 6" refractor class.

Remember Mick, if you want to borrow my mount, i'll drop it off anytime on my way home from work.

If you plan on using a biggish refractor and i assume you are (on a tripod) you may need to factor in some sort of extension piece between tripod & mount.

Theres also (on my extension), a cork layer between extension and tripod / to give some extra purchase to stop the whole setup from rotating / becoming loose.

A handle arm is handy too. I can manually track with mine at high powers quite happily.

Not sure if you've considered it Mick,  but encoders and Digital setting circle / computer are a great addition.

I have encoders on each axis, and they are really very simple, easy to install and take up little room. They are not too expensive either.

Good luck with the build :good3:

Edited by Bino-viewer

Thanks Rob.

There's no need to borrow yours yet Rob, might have a look later regarding the encoders. I have considered a cork washer and will use one, also it will sit on a 6" riser made hopefully out of solid aluminium to give it some weight. Where is your handle arm secured onto the mount?

As for encoders I'm still researching them, you have the original ones sold by disc mount, these were the originally Sky commander encoders I think.

Edited by Doc

Edit : to my previous post : The cork layer is between extension and mount, not extension and tripod.

Below are a few images of the mount, encoders, saddle etc

The saddle is made by Discmounts and has a Losmandy style fitting.

It is somewhat over-engineered, but when you consider payloads, and the price of some of these OTAs it probably needs to be.

The base of the saddle plate is smooth, but has the dovetail cut in above. The bottom smooth part is where the handle is bolted on.

At the top of the altitude disc, a small 90deg finder bracket is attached, with means to fit a generic finderscope or RDF.

Its all very nicely machined and engineered, but is effortless to use.

I love the DM6 ; it probably the best Alt-Az mount on the market. But maybe i'm biased ?

37135820691_3a4450e1e0_c.jpg36880600640_eef4f4fd6b_c.jpg36880600440_fdd2c19c7a_c.jpg37278740925_3c04196971_c.jpg37105998672_b8b13a5425_c.jpg37278740955_278731b133_c.jpg37278740945_c27a6b72e8_c.jpg36880600610_fed9d24941_c.jpg36440743574_a74949d49d_c.jpg37135820931_e0751513ce_c.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

Thanks for the pics Rob.

Regarding the bearing, I'm considering two 5" x 6mm discs of PTFE rubbing against each other. I read somewhere that this combination has less friction then PTFE on Aluminium. I think PTFE has very low coefficient and is ideal for this sort of application. The other option regarding low coeeficient bearing material is UHMWPE but this more expensive. The stiction will be via tension on the nut connected to the shaft, the more you tighten the less movement you will get. DM has the same application and it works pretty well.

A few more photo's of the bext stage. This was to drill through so to spot the side plates. Doing it this way made the job pretty easy and everything lined up.

t1QwIK.jpg

The sides were then tapped M6

J201oi.jpg

Drills inserted in to the holes to align everything up.

dldnFi.jpg

More tapping M6.

RVJcrA.jpg

Below shows all the holes were counterbored with a M6 counterbore and M6 ccap head screws used throughout.

qhhcWG.jpg

0LpsqW.jpg

So far I have a very well made cube 6" in size.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

Nice work Mick.

I'm sure we are all jealous of your engineering skills. I know i am !!

What sort of weight are you thinking the finished product will be ?

I think the more mass the better ; certainly if you are going to be using a 5" class refractor.

Here are the Discmount specs for both the DM6 & smaller DM4.

http://www.discmounts.com/specifications.html

The DM6 has a listed 40 lb payload capacity, which is pretty high.

My refractor + rings, dovetail, binoviewer & eyepieces is around 10kg (22 lb) i think

I have actually mounted my 12" Newtonian on it. 

This is around 16kg. 

But it probably foolhardy of me and my tripod is not beefy enough.

So........why don't i upgrade my tripod ? :screwloose:

Edited by Bino-viewer

Regarding weights I'm not sure yet, even though it's made of aluminium is pretty substantial and feels well made. The idea is if it works really well and is accurate with the encoders is to sell my Losmandy AZ8 and tripod and invest in a Barlebach Planet tripod. I think this would be a great combination.

I'm still not sure how to finish the mount either polished aluminium to a shine, anodize, paint, or powder coat.

Why don't you pop round one day on your way home from work and have a look Rob.

Edited by Doc

Powdered coating is the way to go. 

If you Anodised it you will have to strip it all down unless you are using all stainless steel fittings in the build. 

Graham if I powder coat how much prep needs to be done. Do all the scratches have to be removed or is the powdercoating thick enough to cover these.

One other thought Mick....

Are you planning being able to adjust the friction levels on the mounts discs ?

Its a nice feature on the DM6 to be able to tighten / loosen either (or both) axis when required.

For instance, with a heavy binoviewer & eyepieces i need a little bit more, just a touch more friction than when i'm just viewing with a smaller mono eyepiece.

Thats why the top and back panels on the mount are perspex and simply slide out to gain access. 

They even supply a small magnetic spanner if you need to adjust in the field, and it only takes a few seconds to do so.

Just a thought.

The back on mine isn't slidable but is only secured by two thumbscrews and then the back comes off. This allows access to both axis which you can tighten or loosen depending on how much friction you require. The end of the shafts will have plastic "D" inserts fitted so a encoder with a 6mm D Shaft can just slide in to place. I do like the idea of a spanner inserted inside the box, I will have to have a look into that.

• Like 1

A little more done. 

JEVBvf.jpg

Making sure the edge is aligned.

DVj4vT.jpg

Milling the edges so I can fit a removable back panal so to allow access to the shafts.

WVVag1.jpg

All four sides done, and bolted back together.

EaERaV.jpg

The finished article. The space inside will be where the encoders and friction nut will be. Next is a cover to sit within the recess area so it's flush with the outside. This will be secured with M5 thumbscrews.

• Like 1

Looking great Mick. :thumbsup:

When you bolt the finished aluminium box sides together, is there a need for a particular torque setting or will you use a thread locking fluid? 

Edited by Tweedledee

Not as far as I know Pete, I just tighten them tight, it's not going to move at all.

I've been looking at bearing material and have gone with UHMWPE mainly because it has an exceptionally low coefficient of friction which offers superb sliding properties and is one of the best materials for wear and abrasion resistance.

I bought it from Direct plastics.

https://www.directplastics.co.uk/uhmwpe-sheet

Edited by Doc

Useful info about the UHMWPE. :thumbsup:

Could you check out that link please Mick. It goes to their website but reports that they can't find that page.

EDIT... I think their website is playing up at the moment, as a lot of its menu system does that.

Edited by Tweedledee

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Graham if I powder coat how much prep needs to be done. Do all the scratches have to be removed or is the powdercoating thick enough to cover these.

It's like everything else.

The better the finish before the better the finish after.