• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Alt/Az Mount build diary

Doc

Just looked at how much a new DM6 costs. I looked as I was curious with how poor the pound is against the dollar and was pretty shocked.

$1200 for the mount

$50 handle

$150 tripod adapter

$525 Encoders and display

Total $1925 or £1400. 

On top of this you need shipping and taxes. So maybe about £1750 :( Ouch.

Another few hours in the workshop produced the back panal.

5Rkfqs.jpg

Milling the recess in the back panal.

smNqkY.jpg

Going around the edge with a 10mm cutter

nz55G7.jpg

The finished article. The back panal will be secured with two M6 thumb screws.

That's it for now.

Btw I'll post some better photo's soon with my 6d.

Edited by Doc

Looking good Mick. You've done a great job there......:respect:

I can't wait to see it 'with discs'....

You've reminded me of the cost of my DM6...

Also there was the cost of the saddle and pier extension....:scare:

A significant purchase for me, no doubt, and took some saving up for.

I did purchase mine 3 years ago though and the $USD was weaker then, i was geting $1.70 / £1

But i did get the Alt-Az mount i'd longed for, and its a definite life keeper : with the new Nexus DSC its a formidable set-up.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet : If i'd wanted the equivalent EQ ie Paramount, AP Mach 1, etc it would be big bucks.

Do you have a saddle plate in mind ?

I wondered if you were going to machine something, but i'm guessing it might be easier to buy one.

Make sure its beefy, with a pair of dovetail clamps ideally. Theres a lot of mass with a big refractor.

Your choice of a Planet tripod is a good one i think.

I'm just going to put up a few better photo's Rob, one of them a mock up with discs included.

I have a couple of saddles already from other projects but I'm tempted to make one.

Rob just wondering what size is the thread that connects the DM6 to the tripod. I asking this as I'm hoping to get the Barlebach Planet tripod with the DM6 head.

All it is is a standard 3/8" (i think) standard photo tripod thread.

Nothing more to it than that.

Berlebach don't charge anything for that, as theres no specific fit / adapter as such

Check out the webpage : look at the dropdown options for 'mount' and you'll see DM6 listed.

https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=350&sprache=english

You don't have to have that fitting though ? 

One advantage is that i can mount other photo gear on the same tripod.

If you are ordering direct the poor Pound / Euro exchange may penalise you.

Theres other vendors that may be cheaper such as FLO. They may not have a DM6 fit though.

Whatever fit you opt for, i can recommend the spread stopper ( with tray)

So much better than those awful chains. Double leg clamps are good too, under a heavy load.

HTH :)

Edited by Bino-viewer
typos

Thanks for the info Rob.

A little bit more done today.

First attatched one of the discs onto the side of the mount with M6 cap head screws. Then Cut out the plastic with a hacksaw and mounted them into the lathe to round them off. I then drilled M5 and with countersunk screws attached them to the disks.

XPmnCw.jpg

0w96Jb.jpg

The M10 threaded bar is only there to align the discs. My next job is to increase the bore size to 1" and secure this into the end disc with a M12 thread.

ZjrMcr.jpg

yVlDLm.jpg

This shows the bearing which has a 1" inner diameter, a 1.500" outer diameter and is 1.750" long. I will make the shaft originally from aluminium but once it is all working will make a stainless steel shaft. Problem is i have trouble cutting stainless on the myford especially threading, the material is so damn hard.

6LSp7k.jpg

You can see both discs sandwiching two 6mm discs of UHMWPE.

Edited by Doc

Thanks guys it means a lot too me that you are following my progress.

Thinking ahead a bit. I'm going to struggle with the bottom disc it's 5" long and 5 1/2" wide and once in the lathe I cannot cut the entire length as the end hits the saddle. I wanted a slight taper on it and some decorative grooving to give it some character. I'm going to have to get my thinking cap on here and come with a solution. 

On 23/09/2017 at 09:37, Doc said:

Thanks guys it means a lot too me that you are following my progress.

Thinking ahead a bit. I'm going to struggle with the bottom disc it's 5" long and 5 1/2" wide and once in the lathe I cannot cut the entire length as the end hits the saddle. I wanted a slight taper on it and some decorative grooving to give it some character. I'm going to have to get my thinking cap on here and come with a solution. 

You could ask someone you know with a large lathe to do that bit for you. ;)

Or you could use a left handed tool set up on the front of the tool post to give you the necessary extension distance to clear the saddle. 

Edited by Graham

9 hours ago, Graham said:

You could ask someone you know with a large lathe to do that bit for you. ;)

Or you could use a left handed tool set up on the front of the tool post to give you the necessary extension distance to clear the saddle. 

I was just looking at left hand tools last night. I think that will be the way I go. Thanks for the tip Graham.

"I cannot cut the entire length as the end hits the saddle."

This sounds like aperture fever in a different form Mick! Yup, you need a bigger lathe. :D

Done the outer bush today. Done this one on the lathe and it turned out a lot easier then on the mill. I used the face plate, clamped it down and clocked it, the job turned out OK.

So both bushes have now been done and it's all been put together and tested. Looks OK so very happy so far.

Next steps are an 8" riser, stainless steel shafts, and sort out some encoders. Also on the agenda is a heavy duty dovetail clamp.

And lastly remove scratches and powdercoat.

kWX81x.jpg

YjmobA.jpg

g8YlzA.jpg

PUypRz.jpg

sNoE34.jpg

n5yI6Y.jpg

Edited by Doc

Would you be able to polish it and then clearcoat it, that would look stunning. A lot of work to polish it, but then you have already put in a lot to start with.

Yes I see no reason why I can't Baz. It shouldn't take that much effort to polish all the marks out, just plenty of wet and dry. Even if I go powdercoating or anodizing it still needs polishing to remove scratches.

Made the riser yesterday. Photo's speak more then words so have a look.

hnIFGB.jpg

Tbl2RL.jpg

L0OFgF.jpg

CnQHSg.jpg

wAJmqI.jpg

Ax2vGB.jpg

CeVJ5d.jpg

4R7BjQ.jpg

So next step is a dovetail and see if it takes the weight of a 5" triplet scope. 

• Like 2