• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My Alt/Az Mount build diary

Doc

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

Just weighed it and it is 13.9 Kg or 2.2 stone :o

Still a lot easier to lug around than a 16" dob then. You did say that a bit of extra weight will only make the thing even sturdier. :)

Encoders fitted today. Works a treat, still to test it at night but feels really secure and professional.

gxhFDz.jpg

aglfiX.jpg

DzLhvJ.jpg

lcLFlq.jpg

lioXlQ.jpg

Q4cVpH.jpg

MuDFBo.jpg

Ida5nr.jpg

fg11aO.jpg

Very nice job Mick :thumbsup:

Would love to see it in action - might try to make the next meeting if you're bringing it along.

Fab job Mick. It's got me wondering now. I've been thinking about making a mount with slow mo's for the Altair 130 APO but a very smooth push pull might be the thing. I hung the 130 on my Vixen Porta 2. Definately not up to the job but what was also apparent was how far away the controls are, even though I have the flexy cable extension knobs (I seemed to be sitting miles away from the mount!!). This mount works well with my ST120 as it's short and has a central balance point. I didn't think about the balance point before I bought a big APO. So, now for some head scratching.

Thanks Alan. I think there is no need for slow motion controls as long as you can get the axis movements as sleek as possible. Big bearing surfaces help a lot and of course a handle to move it about. I find a little washing up liquid between the bearings really helps as well. Give it a try and build on, it's a great experience.

After a lot of thinking and mulling this over I've decided to polish the mount to a mirror finish. You know how you sometimes start something and say " Why the hell have I started this" , well this is one of those moments. I've been emery clothing scratches out, then wet and dry 400, 800, 1500, and 2500 grit and then polishing and I'm knackered. One thing I've done is scribe the lines for holes etc to deep and this has caused so much more work to remove, lesson learnt and my next mount will be scribed better.

Anyway I've bought a polishing kit to finish it off.

http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/Aluminium-Polishing-Super-Finishing-kit-4-x1--mops-with-Menzerna-Compounds-2370.html#SID=176

On another note managed an hour before it clouded over on Sunday night and it's working pretty good. A few sticky patches that I'm working on, but the accuracy seems pretty good and the balance is spot on.

Edited by Doc