• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling has been awarded dark site status.

Daz Type-R

Are they talking about the same Kelling we go too?

http://www.kellingheath.co.uk/top-accolade-for-kelling-as-it-achieves-dark-sky-discovery-site-status-nid312.html

To be honest, I'm shocked they managed to get this, we have been saying for years the LP is getting worse, for all the sseasoned Kelling goers, am I being too harsh?

not sure how that can be right with all that glow from the "sports" place, unless that has been sorted -it is a while since I have been to be fair

I've noticed the LP increasing over the last couple of years. Hopefully they have sorted it to get the award.

Dark Sky Discovery Sites don't actually have to be all that dark. The minimum requirement is 7 stars in Orion believe it or not! All it means is that they should have a public accessible information board to show what might be visible at what times of the year. NTU were going to get it for our school until we realised we would need to leave the site unlocked.

A dark sky reserve on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish. They have to be dark.

Edit: Having just read their post, they are over egging that pudding in a big way!

Edited by Perkil8r

And that's what's brassing me off!!!!!

Kelling are milking it big time like its some sort of amazing thing!

I could make my front garden a dark site discovery site, it's ridiculous, as I can get 7 stars in Orion. 

Edited by Daz Type-R

it is certainly not as dark as it used to be, but you can still see the milky way and the skies are clear from the usual pollution that affects us city dwellers, i`m certain there are darker skies in the peak district but you wouldn`t be able to accommodate hundreds of astronomers in one out of the way camp site. 

They certainly haven't run any astro lectures or imaging demonstrations for a fair few years - the only thing in that description I recognise is trade stands. Plus it's been getting more light polluted every year. "Milking it" is an understatement lol.

1 hour ago, Rusty Strings said:

There is a new housing development between Holt and High Kelling which won't be improving things

That's the one I had heard about.