Please click here to read an announcement about EMS and the coronavirus.

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Daz Type-R

Kelling has been awarded dark site status.

Daz Type-R

Are they talking about the same Kelling we go too?

http://www.kellingheath.co.uk/top-accolade-for-kelling-as-it-achieves-dark-sky-discovery-site-status-nid312.html

To be honest, I'm shocked they managed to get this, we have been saying for years the LP is getting worse, for all the sseasoned Kelling goers, am I being too harsh?

Ibbo

not sure how that can be right with all that glow from the "sports" place, unless that has been sorted -it is a while since I have been to be fair

tuckstar

Seems to get lighter every year. And I have heard rumours of a new housing estate going in nearby as well.

TasKiNG

I've noticed the LP increasing over the last couple of years. Hopefully they have sorted it to get the award.

Perkil8r

Dark Sky Discovery Sites don't actually have to be all that dark. The minimum requirement is 7 stars in Orion believe it or not! All it means is that they should have a public accessible information board to show what might be visible at what times of the year. NTU were going to get it for our school until we realised we would need to leave the site unlocked.

A dark sky reserve on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish. They have to be dark.

Edit: Having just read their post, they are over egging that pudding in a big way!

Edited by Perkil8r

Daz Type-R

And that's what's brassing me off!!!!!

Kelling are milking it big time like its some sort of amazing thing!

I could make my front garden a dark site discovery site, it's ridiculous, as I can get 7 stars in Orion. 

Edited by Daz Type-R

red dwalf

it is certainly not as dark as it used to be, but you can still see the milky way and the skies are clear from the usual pollution that affects us city dwellers, i`m certain there are darker skies in the peak district but you wouldn`t be able to accommodate hundreds of astronomers in one out of the way camp site. 

Brantuk

They certainly haven't run any astro lectures or imaging demonstrations for a fair few years - the only thing in that description I recognise is trade stands. Plus it's been getting more light polluted every year. "Milking it" is an understatement lol.

Rusty Strings

There is a new housing development between Holt and High Kelling which won't be improving things

tuckstar
1 hour ago, Rusty Strings said:

There is a new housing development between Holt and High Kelling which won't be improving things

That's the one I had heard about.