• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling 2017 the aftermath.

Perkil8r

Just starting this off.

I arrived in glorious sunshine on Friday afternoon, let us not mention turnips, carrots, tractors, lorries, muggle tin snailers, teenage girls driving fiestas or landrovers! Tent set up with suitable lubrication and mount thrown out to pop the pst on for a quick look at our local star.

Nightfall comes and we're up and running until probably 2am? I can't remember now to be honest. Turned in at just gone 3am a happy camper. A quick trip into Sherringham with Phil in the afternoon of Saturday and a bargain purchase of a door mat was made from grace bros. Quickly installed on our arrival back before afternoon drinks.

Night time comes and the skies are teasing so quick runs in the gaps are achieved before packing up at about 12 when it promptly cleared for a good while. Had a few scans about with binoculars but turned in about 2:30.

All in all a wonderful weekend with wonderful company. Let's hope next year is as good!

Likewise Ron :thumbsup:

On my bino capture list I had: M13,M31,33,M42,M45,M51,M81,M82 Double cluster, Owl cluster, some other couple or so clusters (I'd need Phil to tell me which ones as he was guiding both Dave and myself around Cas.)

I got a reasonable amount of imaging done too but I need to go through the data yet. Clouds were causing a lot of issues, particularly on Saturday night but it was a jolly good couple of nights. The tea tent seems pretty good and will be a real bonus up Belper. It has the added bonus of being a decent amount warmer in there too with the urn acting like a little radiator too.

It was really good to catch up with everybody, it has been far too long since I was at Kelling. Next year is all booked and paid for though and the dates marked in SWMBO's diary so there's no excuses for me not making it next year.

Excellent Kelling, arrived Tuesday and managed 6 clear nights :o Absolutely shattered but have quite a bit of data to sort through and process.

Good to see everyone again :) 

Here are a few pictures I took from Kelling....

Kelling 2017

Kelling 2017

Kelling 2017

Kelling 2017

And making its first time appreance, the newly purchased EMS communal tea/coffee tent gazebo thingy with gas powered urn and cakes, which I think went down well.....

Kelling 2017

Kelling 2017

• Like 2

Well it's marginally safer than setting fire to picnic tables as traditions go! :D

Some of the others you might not recognise are with my scope, Keith and Bill from the Bolton astro soc and the couple are Nicky and Lee from near Great Yarmouth, all terrific folks and a pleasure being with them.

Edited by BAZ

1 hour ago, BAZ said:

Well it's marginally safer than setting fire to picnic tables as traditions go! :D

But not as much fun :lol:

Great set of photo's Baz, looked like a great time was had by all.

Good pics. Looks like you lot had fun. And WOW at (no not the ass :) ,(Geek Version) >  the dew on the mirror) .

Looking forward to SGL 2017 , my first star party, and camping.

Nice ones Martyn, I didnt realise I was being snapped when I was chillin listening to Faithless. That was shortly before I received a deposit from the Collared Dove in the tree above.

Just as I was pacdeer.jpg?raw=1king away this little fella showed up again, luckily my camera was at hand this time but he was very quick and was just in the process of legging it

• Like 2

That's a little deer! :D

It's weird how they turn sideways and just disappear, I bet they love it as they probably know they are relatively safe in there.

Lovely pics - looks like I missed a good one.  I was hiking in France in the Cantal region where there were some glorious dark skies but too exhausted to stay up long enough to take a proper look.  Bro has given me the date for next year's, so hopefully, I won't miss it.