• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

One is amused

Just kidding! I used to tell my daughter (when she was little) that my granddad was the queen's cousin. I enjoy the programme and it has got me rather interested in Queen Victoria. One thing that was wrong was that Dash did not look like a "modern" Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. The breed had changed a lot since the days of King Charles II, as it had been mixed with other breeds. There are some images of Dash on the 'net and he had much longer legs. The "modern" Cavalier was bred in the 1920s to look more like the dogs of King Charles II.

They make great pets, as they were bred as companion dogs but they suffer a lot of heart problems. We had 2 pedigrees and they died at 9 and 10 years old. We now have two crossbreeds (One with a Bijon, the other with a Westie) and they are just as good pets (says he with Ollie the Bijon cross trying to climb over my keyboard) and, so far, have been more healthy.

I am not related to the royal family but my paternal grandfather worked at Windsor Castle and my dad was presented to the Queen and Duke, as they worked on construction at the Royal Windsor Horse Show.

I have been canvassing public support for a knighthood for years but not so much had a sniff of an MBE. Life's hard sometimes!

On the same note Phil.

My wifes great grandfather Guy Roseberry Primrose was King George V account and in charge of his personal estate. He was given a grace and favour house in Wolverton which was then and still is I think a part of the Sandringham Estatte. I have a few photo's of him at work and attending royal duties. Him and his wife even invited the King and Queen round for tea sometimes.

Edited by Doc

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

On the same note Phil.

My wifes great grandfather Guy Roseberry Primrose was King George V account and in charge of his personal estate. He was given a grace and favour house in Wolverton which was then and still is I think a part of the Sandringham Estatte. I have a few photo's of him at work and attending royal duties. Him and his wife even invited the King and Queen round for tea sometimes.

I think that, with your services to astronomy, should get you a CBE as a minimum but those of us who popularise astronomy don't usually get given gongs, apart from Sir Patrick.

On your signature, which Messiers are you missing? I found M76, the Little Dumbbell, the toughest, as it needed a VERY clear night and for it to be high up. I'm not sure whether you can see M6 and M7 from the Midlands. I needed to "trespass" onto a neighbour's lawn to get them in my telescope. They look much better from Down Under but that's cheating!