• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Well im in! Where do I send the money!

Dean Watson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-41399164

Does beg the question somewhat, if they're satellites, what are they supposed to go round?  Or do you send them up so that they go round and round the edge?  Ah, that must be it!

Who does Mike Degrasse Tyson think he is anyway?  I mean, sure knows a lot about boxing, but spacey stuff?  And he demoted Pluto from a planet, although quite right too in my opinion.  I mean, the Disney Corporation getting us to believe that about Mickey Mouses dog!

$650 down already! Together we can make his happen!

8 hours ago, DeanWatson said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-41399164

Does beg the question somewhat, if they're satellites, what are they supposed to go round?  Or do you send them up so that they go round and round the edge?  Ah, that must be it!

Who does Mike Degrasse Tyson think he is anyway?  I mean, sure knows a lot about boxing, but spacey stuff?  And he demoted Pluto from a planet, although quite right too in my opinion.  I mean, the Disney Corporation getting us to believe that about Mickey Mouses dog!

$650 down already! Together we can make his happen!

I work in a Disney store but it's a bit of Mickey Mouse job.

Now if the Earth was a disc instead of a spheroid, we would not fall off the edge, as there would be no gravity to pull us down. Perhaps we could walk round the edge and the southern hemisphere is on the other side. As we know that the deepest sea trench is about 7 miles deep, this puts a lower limit to the height of the disc. Now are we assuming a smooth edge or could it be curved or even bevelled? Would gravity be weaker at the edges? Could it even be possible that the depth of the Earth is greater than the diameter of the disc, so that the real shape of Earth is cylindrical? Also, if it is flat, it may not be a disc but could be a square, so that the overall shape could be a cuboid.

Then, of course, maybe the Earth may not be flat-ish, cuboid,  cylindrical or spheroid but, just as the universe is a 3-dimensional surface of a 4-dimensional object, could it be possible that Earth's real shape is 4 or more dimensions whereas we primates can only perceive three? What is reality anyway? Is it merely an illusion caused by lack of alcohol? Did Shroedinger's cat die of starvation or did it escape through a quantum catflap into a parallel universe made entirely of cat food? Did Heisenburg discover a deterministic solution to the origin and fate of the universe or was he uncertain? Did he find quantum mechanics somewhat Bohring? Who cares and who reads this rubbish anyway?

If there was any intelligent life in this universe or, indeed, any in other universes in a multiverse that are capable of reading this, there is a 98.7654321% chance that they would have given up in disgust after reading my first sentence!

Edited by Sunny Phil
Taiping Errror

The guy's American! :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that a survey had revealed that 51% of Americans have been abducted by aliens at some point in their lives. :o

8 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

I read somewhere that a survey had revealed that 51% of Americans have been abducted by aliens at some point in their lives. :o

Using the proper definition of the word "alien", I caught one in Chile and brought her back to the UK. I think the 'plane must have crossed the edge of the Earth while we were asleep. I think they need to slow down as I think the escape velocity is lower around the edges of Earth.

On 27/09/2017 at 22:59, Tweedledee said:

Which to be fair does explain rather a lot...  And the fact that the aliens, well, brought them back...

I looked the link. I am speechless about the flat earth drivel in it, so I will just shake my head in disbelief... just cannot waste any time on it...:facepalm: