Please click here to read an announcement about EMS and the coronavirus.

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
philjay

Well bang goes my backyard astronomy

philjay

New next door neighbours have had this fitted whilst I was away at Kelling. It floods all our back garden and my observatory with light when on.

I had a polite word with the lady of the household and she suggested that I notify them when I am out there so they can turn it off. I do not think it is necessary to ask permission to do something in my back garden which I have been doing for 30 years. Waiting for the chap to have a polite word with him.

I will be giving a talk on astronomy from my back garden in a months time in the village hall so this will go down well.

light.jpg?raw=1

Graham

Some people just have no consideration .

Even if you were not an astronomer I still would not want it shining in my garden.

What the hell are they trying to do light up the entire neighbour hood.

This sort of blatant selfish behaviour make my blood boil.

You want a light for your garden fine but only light up your own.

Graham

As a follow up Phil if it comes to it there is this.

In 2006 the law was changed to include ‘light nuisance’ as a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. This new power allows Councils to take legal action against those responsible who continue to cause light nuisance despite being advised of a problem. It is well known that the majority of complaints about light arise from security lighting installations, usually on domestic premises. Well designed, installed and maintained security lights can provide security to homes and businesses. However, security lighting must be installed with consideration of its suitability for the task and its effect on neighbours and the environment. Security lights should provide the minimum level of illumination necessary to light a property, without causing neighbours or passers by a nuisance.

Tweedledee

That sight would definitely have depressed me! :(

All I can suggest is to tread carefully with your neighbours, invite them for a look through your scopes and to your talk and hopefully you can educate them about the impact of such lighting. I had a similar problem years ago when I had my obsy, and got some literature sent through from Bob Mizon at the Campaign for Dark skies. I talked to several neighbours and a local car showroom and left them with a copy of the literature to read at their leisure, and afterwards I had very little problem. The car showroom even got their maintenance man to lower the angle of their floodlights which made a big difference. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Sunny Phil

One neighbour has a security light but it doesn't stay on long. I think most of us observe from home, as there is the question of safety at dark sites. Also, especially during the week, I have lots of short sessions, rather than an all-nighter once a month. Maybe my main interest in the solar system comes from the lack of dark skies generally. I live in suburbia (no classist jokes, please!) but can see the summer Milky Way quite clearly on cloudless nights.

Long story but moving to a darker place is not on the agenda and one of the things I fear about moving into a care home is that I would not have a decent observing site.

andyboy1970

I had a similar thing with a street light at the end of the row of gardens, when I demanded they came and took light meter readings a shield was fitted within a month.

I know my house was a new-build but the street light is still owned by the developer until the council take over.

Here is the thread on SGLhttps://stargazerslounge.com/topic/229951-street-lighting-–-a-result/

Still best to discuss first with the neighbour.