• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Should of kept my mouth shut!

tuckstar

So my daughters Brownies is planning a stargazing night. I stupidly said I'd be glad to help out assuming they had something sorted. They didn't!!! Guess who's ended up being the entertainment!!

So anyone fancy helping me out on the 16th of November in ilkeston 6 ish till 8ish? I realise its probably an MPOLE night being a thursday, but even just a scope or two.

Thanks in advance.

MPOLE is on the week after.

I won't know until a lot nearer the time due to Jude's shifts (she books the MPOLE nights off as annual leave to make sure I can plan ahead!). If I'm free I'll try and get along.

L.O.L. 

i did something similar a few years ago at my daughters brownie club, 30 kids all trying to get a look at the same time, had to send them back into the club house and bring them out 5 at a time, i was knackered by the end of the night. 

• 1 month later...

Well that was a success!

Myself, Baz and the other Andy from IDAS brought along our scopes. 

We gave a quick tour using stellarium and then got the fruit and veg out to give a demonstration of planet sizes and spacings. Using the solar explorer app we then showed the position of the planets as they are now. Martyn gave a quick talk about the moon, how far away it is and why we only see one face of it. We cut the talking short as the predicted rain thankfully didn't turn up and we wanted to make the most of the clear skies. Lots of laser pointing going on, wonder what the locals thought, and we managed to show the girls the double cluster, the pleiades, the ring neb and the andromeda galaxy. We also had them making some constellation viewers with some toilet roll tubes and pictures of some of the constellations which you can puncture the stars so when you look through the tube at a bright light it looks like the stars.

Can't thank Martyn and Andy enough for their help. Couldn't of done it without them.

• Like 3

Uranus was a hit as well, my group of five turned into most of the group with random adults chucked in as well. The weather worked well for you for a change, I pity the poor parents, that lot were buzzing! :D

• Like 2