• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tech advice wanted - Obs computer

Perkil8r

I'm not exactly what you would call tech savvy, I got suckered into having a Microsoft phone for example! What I am looking for is a rough idea of spec and most ideal solution for a computer for the half obs I have now at the new home. My requirements are: To run the mount, camera, filter wheel etc. I need to have enough whatever I need to run that plus to process my solar and lunar images. Processing of other images will be done on my laptop in the warmth and comfort of the lounge afterwards but solar and lunar I want to do out there in the warm room so I don't have to keep coming in to do them only to find out they're not quite right and go back out to try the capture again.

The warm room is a workshop. It is dry and kept reasonably warm (above zero). It is a working workshop though so dust can be an issue at times. In an ideal world I would have something running out there that I can then remote operate via the laptop in the lounge. So, what should I be looking for?

Firstly, Laptop, Tower or all in one?

Secondly, what sort of spec? I guess it ought to be capable of more processing in the future in order to make it last me longer.

Thirdly, what's the best and safest way to link it to the laptop for remote operation?

Have a look at the link but really depends on your budget

https://www.techrotation.com/best-laptop-for-astronomy-astronomers-astrophotography/. I have a friend who runs a computer shop and built my sons gaming pc for a fraction of the cost. Don't hesitate to ask if you want further help:).

I'm personally running a Dell Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4712HQ [email protected] GHz 2.3GHz , 16GB ram and 64 -bit Op system  x64 based processor. Very quick pc handles everything so far.

I use exactly that sort of set up - and I get a cup of tea from her in doors.

Assuming power (240v) exists in Obsys,Windows Operating system and enough room for a desktop - I am think perm fitting in Obsys

1. I3/i5/I7 64bit Processor ,SSD (2x or 1 ssd and 1 hd ) say 128GB ssd for the Operating system and 1tb hd for your local photo's before downloading to process on your laptop (note I process using Astrotaoster which is DSS with a front end on the Obsys PC OK)

2. 8MB ram min but more the better. NOTE to use above 4gb ram you must have Windows 64bit.

3.As many usb ports as poss but 4 min - yes you can expand usb ports with hubs (and may need to if powering some camera's)

4. A descent graphics card 

5. Wire and Wireless Ethernet - if you can run an outdoor rj45 use wired its has no time lags and does get interfered by other kit. If your outdoor 240v goes to the same consumer unit you may be able to go Powerline adapters(2 one in Obsys the other in house next to router or other HUB) to save running rj45 cable. Else its Wireless and depending on the distances a wireless repeater (cheapo at £10).

6. I use RDP (Microsoft Remote Desktop software) but there are a number of others ,which are good and free - Teamviewer VNC or Realvnc- latter are free and have been round for yrs. This will enable you to run a server on your Obsys PC and connect via a "viewer" from your laptop. Watch out for firewall's blocking connections if not using Microsoft RDP.

7. Make sure the PC power supply is over 500watts especially if you go for a fancy graphics card.

8. I still think desktops are fine ,in a perm obsys, as they give flexibility and can be upgraded later with extra HD etc. I use Small Form Factore (SFF) by HP which has,touch wood,run fine in my unheated Obsys(18mths so far)

9. I would still run an Anti Virus software

There are some good 2nd hand bits of kit (excluding SSD which I would buy new) both on Ebay(Companies upgrading selling of "old" kit and Red Dwarf knows a good local Nottm company that supplies decent kit. I paid £140 for my HP I5 64bit quad process(16gb ram) and upgraded it with SSD (128GB) . It sits under a false floor about 2m from the bottom of the mount. As I said I run Mount(Ascom/EQmod),Camera(dslr + ZWO), do Plate solving and run Astrotoaster(Realtime DSS with knobs on) all on the Obsys mount no problem

P.S. I used to use my old Vista 8gb quad processor with SDD running all the above - it was fine but the HP is a lot faster.

Hope that helps - ps I haven't spell check it or checked the English as I am dying for a cuppa so sorry.

Edited by stash