Please click here to read an announcement about EMS and the coronavirus.

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Sunny Phil

Advantages of Global Warming

Sunny Phil

1. People's carbon footprint will reduce, as they would not need to heat their homes so much

2. People in northern Europe won't need to travel to the Med so much for holidays, saving on aircraft fuel

3. There will be less people dying of hypothermia during winter (what's winter???)

4. We will lie on warm beaches 52 weeks of the year

5. We won't need to get up early to clean ice off the car

6. There will be less road accidents, as the roads will be free of ice and snow

7. We will be able to grow grapes, tea, coffee and citrus fruit in the UK and Scandinavia

Only trouble is I'll be 6 feet under!

Perkil8r

And the price of second hand astro kit will plummet as it will be useless due to cloud.

There are no advantages to global warming, not one. The only plus side is that we are now trying (some of the civilised nations at any rate, USA not counted) to combat the effect we are having on it, and in the process becoming more energy efficient and developing new technology to accomplish that.

newtyng5

Also, global warming is really in inaccurate description. Temperate/Southern climates get hotter, with unreliable weather. Northern climates get more unreliable weather, mainly wetter and colder. Possibly ending in a new ice age (not in our life times). Ice ages are actually a natural occurrence, but global warming could trigger it sooner than later. And like Sheila said, most of the continents will shrink, islands buried under water.

Anyway its clear tonight, always is when the moon is full.

:cheers:

Sunny Phil

Well, actually you are all right! I would have found it a lot easier to list more disadvantages. Whilst the last bit is true in that the downside of global warming, rising sea levels, etc will happen after I'm dead or have broken the record for the longest-living diabetic, I have a daughter. She will not only be alive (with about 90% certainty)  in 2050 but will also be of working age.

Whilst my initial post was a bit tongue-in-cheek, it is a serious business and I must be a bit careful what I say, as the environment has become very political, too political in my view. All I'm prepared to say is that global warming and cooling went on long before agriculture, which was probably the first point in (pre-??)history where human activity started affecting climate.

Daz Type-R

I thought I was in the running for the longest living Diabetic?

36 out of my 38 years so far.....

Anyway, I agree with the above, there is no advantage to rising temperatures on the scale we are seeing so far.

:( 

Sunny Phil
9 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

I thought I was in the running for the longest living Diabetic?

36 out of my 38 years so far.....

Anyway, I agree with the above, there is no advantage to rising temperatures on the scale we are seeing so far.

:( 

Actually, you make a great point! My wife is younger than I am but has been diabetic for longer. I think I must have caught it off her, as she has caught high blood pressure from me. So who is the "older" diabetic, me because I was born first or my wife because she was diagnosed before I was?

Can diabetes be affected by global warming or is global warming caused by diabetes? Is it not possible that they are both linked to the strength of Earth's magnetic field?

Is reality an illusion caused by lack of alcohol?

Is happiness merely a state of mind that one can only achieve when one is blissfully unaware of the real state of the universe?