• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Power hub

Bottletopburly

Now pier is installed in garden attention turns to electrics , now  I'm totally useless with electrics but luckily working in the marine industry I have workmates that are very good at electronics , now after seeing perkilators  mother Hubbard device I'm looking for something like this , I will have 240v to pier and  12v  using one of these supplied from the shed via underground conduit  https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fusion-100w-13-8v-power-supply/rc-car-products/395803

does anyone have a wiring diagram , I'm thinking 4x 12v sockets  I don't use dew bands but I may as well make future proof  any other  ideas for power outlets I may need , I'm thinking of a box that can be unhooked off pier when not in use .

I personally would shy away from having a 240 volt supply attached to the pier. 

Apart from the inherent danger with all the moisture in the air during the cooler months you may well find it doing weird and wonderful things to your imaging. 

As for the 12 volt all you need to do is wire the sockets in parallel. 

I put an individual fuse infront of each socket on my hub.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

I would use a really large leisure battery placed in a shed out of the way and run wires underground to your pier and then wire in your 4 x 12v sockets, run all your gear from 12v so much safer.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Now pier is installed in garden attention turns to electrics , now  I'm totally useless with electrics but luckily working in the marine industry I have workmates that are very good at electronics , now after seeing perkilators  mother Hubbard device I'm looking for something like this , I will have 240v to pier and  12v  using one of these supplied from the shed via underground conduit  https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fusion-100w-13-8v-power-supply/rc-car-products/395803

does anyone have a wiring diagram , I'm thinking 4x 12v sockets  I don't use dew bands but I may as well make future proof  any other  ideas for power outlets I may need , I'm thinking of a box that can be unhooked off pier when not in use .

Just a few queries & questions David..

For safety and potential probs, avoid a 230vac feed to an outside pier, and especially do not run a 230vac feed in the same conduit as a 12vdc feed cable unless they are shielded from each other... induction between cables can take place... you can always run an extension cable out if 230vac is required on the odd occasion. 

You also want to keep the dc voltage as close to the limitation set by the equipment you are feeding. Go too high and you could damage stuff, going too low could cause stuff to fail... e.g. A Synscan etc, will only tolerate a certain voltage reduction... Or increase.

13.8vdc seems a tad on the high side...

1) How long will the 12vdc feed cable be in metres and what size are the wires in your intended feed cable? (e.g. 2.5mm, 4mm, 6mm etc?)

2) Have you estimated the load at the pier end? In amps? If you plan to use dew protection heaters in the future then load will be significantly increased...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graham said:

I personally would shy away from having a 240 volt supply attached to the pier. 

Apart from the inherent danger with all the moisture in the air during the cooler months you may well find it doing weird and wonderful things to your imaging. 

As for the 12 volt all you need to do is wire the sockets in parallel. 

I put an individual fuse infront of each socket on my hub.

Thanks graham I was questioning myself for the need for 240 as I have done away with the need for 240 on most things so 240v will not be fed   , only thing I need to look at is power for my powered hub can't remember now without looking  but I'm sure there's a work around , the only cables to the pier now will be a 12v fed from the shed   With this maybe http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/fusion-200w-138v-power-supply-ps201-6563-p.asp next model up from previous posting and a USB cable I have found a 12 v strip that I can house in a box https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-powerstrip-fuse-protected-power-distribution-board.html?wrh_pdp=1&___store=en_us I wount bother with dew power for now I will keep it simple and extend if and when needed , my shed is fed by 10mm armoured cable into a rcd distribution box and distance from shed to is within 3m thanks @Doc@smithyysteve for comments I don't want to use a leisure battery and rather just have a regulated power supply  as for how much power it will draw haven't a clue , eq6 pro , USB hub , camera that's USB power fed , guide cam USB fed  not a massive amount , will 13.8 be too much will I have to reduce voltage to a dedicated socket for mount? Will I need to shield USB cable from 12v cable ? as for 12v cable size I have no idea what I need so maybe someone can suggest cable size . 

I have used a 7amp 13.8v DC regulated power supply for the last 4 years without a problem. HEQ5 pro, Camera and 2 dew heaters, no problem..

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

Thanks graham I was questioning myself for the need for 240 as I have done away with the need for 240 on most things so 240v will not be fed   , only thing I need to look at is power for my powered hub can't remember now without looking  but I'm sure there's a work around , the only cables to the pier now will be a 12v fed from the shed   With this maybe http://www.rcpitstop.co.uk/fusion-200w-138v-power-supply-ps201-6563-p.asp next model up from previous posting and a USB cable I have found a 12 v strip that I can house in a box https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-powerstrip-fuse-protected-power-distribution-board.html?wrh_pdp=1&___store=en_us I wount bother with dew power for now I will keep it simple and extend if and when needed , my shed is fed by 10mm armoured cable into a rcd distribution box and distance from shed to is within 3m thanks @Doc@smithyysteve for comments I don't want to use a leisure battery and rather just have a regulated power supply  as for how much power it will draw haven't a clue , eq6 pro , USB hub , camera that's USB power fed , guide cam USB fed  not a massive amount , will 13.8 be too much will I have to reduce voltage to a dedicated socket for mount? Will I need to shield USB cable from 12v cable ? as for 12v cable size I have no idea what I need so maybe someone can suggest cable size . 

Hi David, the reason I asked for distances and 12vdc cable size (csa) to your pier was to do with volts drop which increases with cable resistance, distance and load. You can lose voltage over longer distances, but the distance of 3m shed to pillar will be negligible volts drop in your case, especially if you use cable with a minimum of 2.5mm csa. (But the bigger the better!).

Regulated 12vdc supplies will not affect USB cables or network cables etc, only alternating (ac) supplies create electromagnetic waves that can create inductive type problems. If you can get shielded usb, or network cables then that would be even better though.

• Like 1

You will not need a separate supply for the mount.  It is designed to run at that voltage.

I run my entire obs on a maplins 13. 5 volt, 5 amp continuous 8 amp surge regulated supply. 

• Like 1

Is bigger better????

That's the age old question isn't it :lol:

I always look at it like this. 

If you run a device at full power it won't last as long as running a device at half power.

The larger unit will never be pushed to its limits and will always have spare capacity for extras you might add to your setup in the future. 

Over capacity is always better IMHO than running on the limit. 

Probably why I always over engineer things. 

Another thing. 

You mentioned a powered hub.

Is this a USB hub. 

If it is I purchased a 7 port high speed hub off amazon that runs on 12 volts. 

You can even charge your phone ect off it.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Graham said:

Is bigger better????

That's the age old question isn't it :lol:

I always look at it like this. 

If you run a device at full power it won't last as long as running a device at half power.

The larger unit will never be pushed to its limits and will always have spare capacity for extras you might add to your setup in the future. 

Over capacity is always better IMHO than running on the limit. 

Probably why I always over engineer things. 

Another thing. 

You mentioned a powered hub.

Is this a USB hub. 

If it is I purchased a 7 port high speed hub off amazon that runs on 12 volts. 

You can even charge your phone ect off it.

Cheers graham , yes USB powered hub , I will look into that graham and change if need be .

I would expect that the synscan and other such units will have on board voltage regulation which will allow feeding more than 12 volts as it will regulate down to the 12 volts and 5v that it needs to work, which is why it falls over when the supply dips below 12

24 minutes ago, Rusty Strings said:

I would expect that the synscan and other such units will have on board voltage regulation which will allow feeding more than 12 volts as it will regulate down to the 12 volts and 5v that it needs to work, which is why it falls over when the supply dips below 12

Spot on.

It actually steps it up to 30 volts for the motor's. :o

• Like 1

I have found a USB  lead to replace the 240v power plug to the star tech powered USB hub I have so that's a result  once I have identified the correct barrel size connector I will post a link ?

Regulated 12v supply came today and distribution panel switchy thingy mabobby ,The power strip looks well made and also has a usb power 2.1A socket so thats a plus as that will feed the usb hub power, only cost about £13 so good value , i will house these in a bigger box and maybe add a couple of 12v car sockets ,i have seen one with a voltmeter built in https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiO-taqyfDWAhWCb1AKHbdrDA0QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2F12v-3-1a-Dual-USB-Charger-Voltmeter-Triple-Socket-Power-Outlet-Marine-Plug-Jack%2F854431408&psig=AOvVaw2PqoW4oK9peqe9DlBexyGa&ust=1508086252392503  ,and my mate has a spare usb power socket too so that can go in to , am i best to have a lead from the box that will house all these parts and put a cigarette type plug onto it then just have a waterproof socket on the pier, i have seen a marine grade waterproof socket and plug , thoughts please .

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/blue-sea-systems-weatherproof-12v-dc-socket.html#

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/blue-sea-systems-weatherproof-12v-dc-plug.html#

37637847356_88021bd678_m.jpg

37637847666_190e924f86_m.jpg

23833436458_114331391d_m.jpg

Edited by Bottletopburly

23 minutes ago, Graham said:

Is there a reason behind not wanting to hard wire it in.

my only thinking graham as pier is open to the elements and i could house in a waterproof box if i wanted  ,i would house into a suitable ip65 box that i can hook onto the mount and  plug into the 12v socket on pier then unplug and store in the shed when not in use 

Edited by Bottletopburly

I have 2 of these marine sockets on the shed, no problems since I did it a year ago...

• Like 1

Well managed an hour of to myself bit of fettling with the power box ,routered a hole in box face to accomodate 12v power strip ,willl see my mate to sort the bus bar and connection lead ,i was or should i say am going to fit a voltmeter with a momentary switch but vendor let me down and sent wrong item so will fit when it turns up .

12V power box -DIY

On 14/10/2017 at 19:04, Bottletopburly said:

my only thinking graham as pier is open to the elements and i could house in a waterproof box if i wanted  ,i would house into a suitable ip65 box that i can hook onto the mount and  plug into the 12v socket on pier then unplug and store in the shed when not in use 

That makes sense.

Did not realise your pier was alfresco :)

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 21:18, Bottletopburly said:

Thanks guys help and advice  appreciated :respect: ,back to the regulared of the two units  https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fusion-200w-13-8v-power-supply/rc-car-products/395868

or https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=395803  which is the better one to get is bigger better 

I have the smaller one and it supplies all my needs for mount, cameras, etc.

I do have a mains extension lead into the shed but it is well protected, MCD & RCD in garage, MCD & RCD in house and fuses in the extension lead and power supply plug & laptop plug.

The socket is not exposed to the outside as it is boxed in.

Synscan actually accepts 12 to 15 volts input. On full slew my EQ6 will draw a maximum of 2 amps so plenty left in reserve with the power supply unit offering 8 amps.

29 minutes ago, andyboy1970 said:

I have the smaller one and it supplies all my needs for mount, cameras, etc.

I do have a mains extension lead into the shed but it is well protected, MCD & RCD in garage, MCD & RCD in house and fuses in the extension lead and power supply plug & laptop plug.

The socket is not exposed to the outside as it is boxed in.

Synscan actually accepts 12 to 15 volts input. On full slew my EQ6 will draw a maximum of 2 amps so plenty left in reserve with the power supply unit offering 8 amps.

Cheers Andy I was going to get the one you had but see hey had a slightly bigger one so went for that , my sheds all powered up , when I upgraded kitchen electrics I ran 10mm armoured cable to the shed and had the sparky fit a consumer box so plenty of breakers  on the system , I had a bit of forsight regarding the shed as I want to pull the shed down and build a 20x10 shed , part shed part obser hmmm summerhouse ?

• 3 weeks later...