• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A bit of Dob Modding.

BAZ

A ‘lot’of dob modding, more like! That looks a solid mod after all your graft! 

I can imagine your frustration having to raise the dob to clear the encoder... 

I like how you have captivated the encoder shaft in your center bolt.

Does your center bolt have a thrust bearing under it to allow your rocker box to turn easily? 

For future consideration, I was wondering if it might be possible to design a 1 to 1 set of drive cogs+chain or a small 1 to 1 belt drive that might allow the encoder to be mounted away from the base of your scope swing...?

That's not a bad idea Steve, I wondered about mounting it underneath, but that was a step too far. There is a large needle roller thrust bearing between the base and rotating table. That's just a large washer to spread the load so it doesn't pull clean through the board.

• 1 month later...

I am pleased the scope and encoders are working well Martyn! ?.

I am just about to start building my new rocker box, i intend leaving enough space to enable me to go down your route at some point.

cheers!

Nah, I reckon this method will be quicker than driven goto anyway, as demonstrated by Doc some years ago. I can slew straight to a co ordinate rather than wait for the motors to slew it over. Saves on battery power as well.