• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Coming Back from SGL

Stephen

Hi folks I broke down coming back from the SGL, I was near Gloucester, I was picked up at 3pm taken all the way to Newport in Wales because they had to change drivers  got back home at 11pm what a day        

That sounds horrendous Stephen, I hope your van is repairable, one day you will laugh about it! ??

Hi every one yes it is repairable  a valve in the exhaust system jammed closed they are replacing it and cleaning the system out, it is a part to keep the van clean. Cost £800

The van would only go at about 30 miles an hour and would not go up hills so that is the reason for the pick up

Edited by Stephen

Ahhh the dreaded EGR valve..... You can have them removed or disabled, that makes a big difference. They are required to pass EU regulations but aren't required for the MOT. They recirculate exhaust back through the intake system which is supposed to clean up the emissions. In actual fact almost all end up making the emissions worse and use more fuel in the process.

Glad it's all sorted now though.

Glad you got sorted Stephen. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Perkil8r said:

Ahhh the dreaded EGR valve..... You can have them removed or disabled, that makes a big difference. They are required to pass EU regulations but aren't required for the MOT. They recirculate exhaust back through the intake system which is supposed to clean up the emissions. In actual fact almost all end up making the emissions worse and use more fuel in the process.

Glad it's all sorted now though.

I've heard of these EGR valves. Although I don't understand them, I believe they are spoken about with the same disgust as the diesel particulate filter, which I do have some bad/expensive experiences with. :evil:

Sounds like a nightmare! Glad you got back okay. I got my car serviced before I went, and smoke was billowing out. Luckily it was just access oil/lubricant. It was a worry, so I feel for you.

Bad luck Steven. My EGR valve went 2 weeks ago cost me over £400 that one, I made it obvious to VW that there was a known fault with these but VW were loathed to replace FOC so I had to give in. Agreed Mike, with some folks who chip the vans they get rid of the EGR for that reason, they do not help performance just emissions.

Up date the EGR has wreaked the turbo so now having a new one fitted total cost to the whole thing £2800                                                                                                          

Double ouch. I am always wary of driving any distance in limp mode when there is a fault, even more so now I know about egr problems, due to the knock on effect on other engine areas. But when your miles away from home what can you do?