• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Asteroid 89 Julia. 27 Oct 2017

10th magnitude asteroid - 89-Julia in Pegasus.

Another asteroid I hunted down by star hopping, imaging and comparing the image whilst in the field, with a star map showing position of Julia. It can be frustrating if I actually find it, go back to the undriven camera and find the almost starless view through the camera view finder has moved due to the Earth rotating.  I have to then loosen the tripod and nudge the camera by an increment based on guessing. Then I re-photograph and reexamine the new image, again comparing with the ref map.  If I can't find it, I nudge the camera again, photograph, examine etc etc, until I know its there, then I reel off 25-50 shots in succession.  

Canon 1100d. Tamron 70-300 mm zoom set at f5.6, 300 mm.

Exp 2.5, ISO 6400. Single frame.  I took batches and will save for stacking at a later time.

Star map references, courtesy Heavens-above.com and Stellarium.

Julia-300mm lens -image & Stellarium.jpg

Asteroid 89 Julia.jpg

• Like 4