• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Off to India!

Dean Watson

Hurrah!  I turned 50 3 weeks ago (Bit grim as I work from home and if I have the TV on in the background during the day I get treated to 'Over 50?  Have you considered a funeral plan and look after your loved ones when you cark it' ads... I also cant tick the 30-49 box on surveys anymore)

Anyway... Other than the stuff ive done with the family and a birthday present to myself - as below - Framed and signed by the whole crew of 12 - Al Bean, the artist (not framed by them of course - I mean,I know astronauts are multitalented but really...) number 700 of 1000 - not cheap... 

image.png.ca0252efc9c0f097204a73c7c5eec9be.png

Im off tho India in two weeks - Pursuant to that (trip to delhi, taj mahal, jaipur, Ranthambore safari park, hot air balloon flight in Jaipur - Oh and travelling club class! - probably going to dive in Kerala too on a little one man sub/underwater moped), Im going to be down in Kerala for four days at the end.  I had a look at Stellarium for the location and time Im there and it looks like theres going to be a smorgasbord of good stuff to look at and image that far south:

SMC/LMC

Coalsack, 

Alpha Centauri - at a push

47 Tucanae

Tarantula nebula

etc etc.

And so bought a used (6 times apparently and looks it, i.e.not at all) Asttotrac TT320x for £200 with polar scope to take with my D70 and tripod.  

So yep, been spending money like water! 

But the purpose of this thread was, other than what I listed above, does anyone have an suggestions as to what I could take an imaging crack at? (I'm in Kovalem)

• Like 2

Omega Cent (NGC5139)  is always a good imaging target ? And looks spectacular too.

Have a great time in India.

I've been twice to Goa, and loved it.

Great place to relax. Enjoy.

Btw...how much is the visa these days....?

Do you still have to go to Birmingham for it ?? If i remember correctly, ours cost £35, but i think they are pushing 3 figures now ?

Make sure you pack medication and get your jabs. I know a couple of people who went there and ending up spending 2 weeks on the toilet and in bed. 

I bet it's a cracking place to visit though, lots of temples etc. The only object I can think off is Omega Centuri, it will knock your socks off. Have fun.

I

2 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Omega Cent (NGC5139)  is always a good imaging target ? And looks spectacular too.

Have a great time in India.

I've been twice to Goa, and loved it.

Great place to relax. Enjoy.

Btw...how much is the visa these days....?

Do you still have to go to Birmingham for it ?? If i remember correctly, ours cost £35, but i think they are pushing 3 figures now ?

I paid around 100 through the travel visa company (less trouble than doing yourself).    I dont think Omega Centauri is up at the time im there?  Didnt leap out at me in Stellarium.  I'll have to check.

22 minutes ago, DeanWatson said:

I dont think Omega Centauri is up at the time im there?  Didnt leap out at me in Stellarium.  I'll have to check.

I think you are right about omega c... Check it out Dean , but I had a look on skysafari for your time out there, location as per India etc and it shows the O C rising with the sun... this and the LMC, SMC,would have been my targets... 

Hope to hear about your adventures in India, I am sure you will have a great time! Enjoy!

Ah! Tell a lie, didnt recognise the lower case greek letter for omega centauri.  Its fairly early morning but is it doable, at least as much so as the other targets i'll have a crack at.  Thankfully i'm on holiday so I can sleep all day!

Don't eat food from the  street markets - I know someone who was really sick after having a samosa the night before his flight home. He ended up severely poisoned and was lucky to have flown home before collapsing and rushed to hospital.

I spent 3mths in Calcutta and the best thing about it was the flight out lol. But hope you have a nicer time than me. :)

56 minutes ago, Brantuk said:

Don't eat food from the  street markets - I know someone who was really sick after having a samosa the night before his flight home. He ended up severely poisoned and was lucky to have flown home before collapsing and rushed to hospital.

I spent 3mths in Calcutta and the best thing about it was the flight out lol. But hope you have a nicer time than me. :)

Thanks for that Kim... I think...

Have a great time Dean, sounds like a wonderful adventure. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to you posting about it when you get back and will be very interested to see any interesting holiday snaps as well as astro photos. 

Dean, the biggest cause of 'Delhi belly' from a tourists point of view (imo)

is not so much what you eat, but what you don't drink.

DEHYDRATION. 

Keep drinking plenty of water, and make sure its decent water.

I've seen it time and time again in these hot countries, people succumb to a bug, get ill, holiday spoiled.

A lot of the time its down to not drinking enough and thinking alcohol is sufficient.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, but keep them fluids up.

Fantastic place for wildlife. Incredible variety of birds. Big cats, elephants, deer, monkeys. Be prepared for that.

Take plenty of Imodium with you. Coca-cola is good for settling a dodgy stomach and is "clean". Also  Dioralyte or similar to restore your body salts. I went with a party of 6 and we all had a "problem" at some time but no one was properly laid low. Avoid salads unless you are in a proper resort. Likewise ice in drinks.

Have a great time. Look forward to seeing some pics.

I've been there 3 times to Hydrabad and Bangalore. I made a daily paper (Munsif Daily) who interviewed me about my Coronado PST. I spent a few breaks sungazing with my classes. The PST was my 50th birthday present. I've seen Alpha Centauri from there but think the LMC is a bit tough and SMC too far south. I found the people there great but didn't like the visible poverty. Good thing I love the food there and even once experimented by going veggie for a 3-week trip.

Shame I didn't have my Nikon D3200 (60th birthday present). I took a few scene shots, though.