Signing up for the East Midlands Stargazers is really quick and easy. Sign up using your email address, Facebook account or Twitter account, by using one of the buttons below.

Once you've signed up you'll be able to post in the forums to introduce yourself, customise your profile, exchange messages with other members of our community, and attend one of our monthly meetings to meet other members. We welcome members of all skill levels, from the complete beginner to the seasoned veteran of the skies.

Alec

Advice on Astro Photography Setup

Alec

So I've decided that I will follow the DSLR route as I'm quite familiar with the cameras. It seems that Canon is supported the most and will buy a Canon EOS 1000D/XS or similar with live view, and invest in Backyard EOS. I will also invest in a new scope thinking a Achromatic Refractor, what are your thoughts on Evostar 80ED or the Explore ES ED80 Triplet ? With the EQ5 mount fully working, and I can use the ZWO 120MC  as a guide cam should have a workable solution. 

Lots of advise would be welcome before parting with my hard earned cash !!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Clarke

The Canon is a must but have a look at the APT program, it's free and I've started using it instead of Backyard EOS because of it's added features ie: focusing aids, Bahtinov grabber etc..

I'm pleased with my SW ED80 pro and use a finder/guider scope without a problem..

Good luck

Ron

philjay

Canon 1000d have been the stock astro imager for along time, thousands of astro imagers cant be wrong, including me :D I modded mine for astro and that was relatively straightforward but nerve wracking.

If your intending doing longer exposure imaging of deep sky objects you will be better off with an Apochromatic (Apo) refractor than an Achromat. The 2 scopes you mention are actually APOs. Achromats give much more colour in longer exposures, e.g. large blue halos around stars are the most common problem, although they can be used for shorter exposures with a bit of tweaking.

The ED80 is an APO as it has 1 element of extra low dispersion glass in its objective. The ED80s are the workhorse of most imagers. They are great value for money and quality wise they are excellent.

Cant vouch for the Explore Scientific but again it is an APO with ED glass so I am sure it will give good account of itself.

I only use a finder guider nowadays. Having tried piggy backing and off axis guiding I find I faff alot less with this set up, some swear by OAG though.

Alec
41 minutes ago, philjay said:

Canon 1000d have been the stock astro imager for along time, thousands of astro imagers cant be wrong, including me :D I modded mine for astro and that was relatively straightforward but nerve wracking.

If your intending doing longer exposure imaging of deep sky objects you will be better off with an Apochromatic (Apo) refractor than an Achromat. The 2 scopes you mention are actually APOs. Achromats give much more colour in longer exposures, e.g. large blue halos around stars are the most common problem, although they can be used for shorter exposures with a bit of tweaking.

The ED80 is an APO as it has 1 element of extra low dispersion glass in its objective. The ED80s are the workhorse of most imagers. They are great value for money and quality wise they are excellent.

Cant vouch for the Explore Scientific but again it is an APO with ED glass so I am sure it will give good account of itself.

I only use a finder guider nowadays. Having tried piggy backing and off axis guiding I find I faff alot less with this set up, some swear by OAG though.

Thx for the advice, I'm going to look at a ED80 today and will match up with a Canon 1000D then the long process of learning begins.

Perkil8r

The modded camera will give you a lot better result for DSO's. It's up to you if you are confident to modify it yourself or not really and what price you are willing to put on the convenience of buying one ready done. Personally I would probably buy a modded one. In fact I did, second hand off here. :)

red dwalf

a cls clip filter would help with longer exposures, or a cls ccd if it`s a modded camera, for guiding i`d recommend an altair astro 60mm guide scope and a zwo 120 mono or colour camera or something similar, i use the mono version, works a treat although the cameras don`t like active usb cables if you are using them over any distance, if you are then buy a cheap printer cable of ebay and they work well.

The Bagman

I bought  a second hand Canon 500d, fitted a CLS clip filter and have been very satisfied with the results. used APF to control the camera.

Chris

Graham

My advice before you start astro photography is to get a well paid job and a good therapist :rofl:

tuckstar

And don't forget the most important thing, a big book of swear words. It won't work without that. Well,  that's my observation as a visual monkey:P

Edited by tuckstar

BAZ

One of the most important bits of kit imagers need is a big bag of cables of various lengths and terminations, it's crucial that none of these work properly. This is so you can then reference the big book of swear words and work towards becoming a proper imager.  :rofl: :harhar::rofl:

Perkil8r

All of the above is correct. If all else fails swear. If that doesn't work, use google images and hope nobody twigs.

Alec
3 hours ago, Perkil8r said:

All of the above is correct. If all else fails swear. If that doesn't work, use google images and hope nobody twigs.

Have the paid job, a therapist if need be, plenty of cables that are already iffy, and can swear in 2 languages. As for google images that's just cheating :)