Signing up for the East Midlands Stargazers is really quick and easy. Sign up using your email address, Facebook account or Twitter account, by using one of the buttons below.

Once you've signed up you'll be able to post in the forums to introduce yourself, customise your profile, exchange messages with other members of our community, and attend one of our monthly meetings to meet other members. We welcome members of all skill levels, from the complete beginner to the seasoned veteran of the skies.

Daz Type-R

November Monthly Meet - Wymeswold - Saturday 25th - 19:30.

Daz Type-R

All,

The November monthly meeting will be held at the Wymeswold dark sight, Saturday 25th November, start time 19:30.

Tea, coffee and a selection of biscuits will be available, please remember to bring your own mug and £1 to cover the costs of the refreshments.  The £1 entitles you to multiple drinks and treats.

Like previous meets, there will be an opportunity for you to ask any questions, bring any kit you need us to look at, help with collimation ETC, just shout up below so we can bring the necessary kit with us (if required).

No specific agenda this month, hopefully if the sky clears then we will be able to do some observing / AP, so weather permitting, bring your kit.  I have put in a request for clear sky, which no doubt will be ignored!

The moon will be up for the first 2 hrs or so, but will set by 9:45pm (ish), 41% lit so could provide some nice views along the terminator?

A large number of Messier and NGC objects will also be visible, but if clear my November target will be ASASSN (2017 O1), currently a mag 12.9 comet but expected to brighten as the month progresses, close to Polaris but far enough away to not be affected by the brightness.  Looking forward to bagging this one.

Any questions please feel free to ask away and I hope to see a number of you there, any newbies hoping to come along, please shout up and I will post directions / address if required.

Hope to see you there. and fingers crossed for clear skies.

Edited by Daz Type-R

DaveJW

Written it on the calendar, hope to be there.

Alec

Weather permitting will be there 

Daz Type-R
23 minutes ago, Alec said:

Weather permitting will be there 

Turn up anyway, the club house facilities will be open, we can all meet up and chat if the weather is bad.

Ron Clarke

I'll try but we will have visitors! 

Streetbob

Have it booked in. So See you there.

Bino-viewer

Wish i could be there but you picked the only Saturday PM in November i'm working....:(

Perkil8r

sorry, pre-booked boys night out that night.

Alec
3 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Turn up anyway, the club house facilities will be open, we can all meet up and chat if the weather is bad.

Will do, maybe a good time if the weather is bad for some software explanation. 

newtyng5

Not been WW before after all this time, so book me dano! or Daz:) ( (weather permitting of course)

Orion

Date noted. Hope to be there.  Look forward to helping to bag the 12.9 mag comet with fixed Canon on tripod. Possibly get 15-30s undriven without trailing.  Hoping that should be enough to record the comet.  I'll give it a try before the 25th.

Orion

Date noted. Hope to be there.  Look forward to helping to bag the 12.9 mag comet with fixed Canon on tripod. Possibly get 15-30s undriven without trailing.  Hoping that should be enough to record the comet.  I'll give it a try before the 25th.  Maps attached, taken from Stellarium for 5 and 25 Nov 2017.  On 5 Nov, the comet is quite far from Polaris, so I guess a driven mount would be needed/better
now, but probably not on 25 Nov.

To get the comet into Stellarium, I specifically changed the configuration under solar system editor and searched for C/2017 O1 and added it.  Same process for adding asteroids that don't appear in Stellarium.

comet C-2017-O1-25-Nov 2017.jpg

comet C-2017-O1-5-Nov 2017.jpg

Wetfeet

Evening all, I'm determined to get to this one! I can't remember the last meeting I got to so I'm looking forward to it, I'm not on call and should be home that weekend so it all bodes well. I want to try out my Canon 1000D on a tripod, any help and advice will be gratefully received. 

Fingers crossed for the weather. 

Orion

I'm sure you'll get loads of help Jonathan.  They helped me when I started using my 1100d, which is the next model up from yours. If it's like mine, I can help.  Does your camera have a live screen?  If so, can you bring a magnifying glass so you can examine the live image in good detail?  This is really to get the best focusing you can.  If possible, bring a spare battery because they can soon run out. If you bring your charger, you can keep one battery on charge whilst using the other. If you have a remote shutter release, bring that.  I'll bring mine anyway. It helps if you were taking say 25-50 shots, and saves you standing pressing the button 50 times, where the risk of knocking the tripod or camera increases otherwise.

SD card. Bring as big as you can.  Don't forget to back off anything on it, so you've got it's space.

Wetfeet

Sorry to take so long to reply, been very busy last few days. I'll bring all the kit and give it a good shakedown hopefully. I hadn't thought of a magnifying glass, that's a brilliant tip, thank you very much for that.