• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Aldebaran disappears

Tweedledee

Anyone up for watching the moon blot out Aldebaran needs to be watching early Monday morning 6th November. In Mansfield it starts about 2.30 and finishes about 3.30am.

If you want to get to bed early then there are several other bright stars in the Hyades being occulted during tomorrow evening. Mag 3.6 Hyadum 1 disappears about 6.50pm at 8 degrees above the horizon and reappears about 7.45pm twice as high in the sky. 

• Like 2

Tonight the moon glides by 4th mag 5 Tauri. At about half past midnight it will be only 1.5 arcminutes from the limb of the moon.

I took a few pics, and a video of the Aldebaran just before occultation, but not the egress.   I was trying to see the star you mentioned Pete, 4th mag 5 Tauri.  But haven't studied the images in detail.  

IMG_0105-crop with theta 1 & 2.jpg

• Like 2

That is great. I too was up last night, not through choice but insomnia. I kept looking out with binoculars.

I got Hyadum 1 even though it was very close just after egress. It was surprisingly difficult with the glare, which seemed far worse in bins than your images. Kept moving the moon just out of the field but it was still difficult. But when you think about it, mag plus 3.6 next to mag minus 12.4 is a massive 16 magnitude difference. That actually calculates to a relative brightness of about 2.5 million times!! Testament to how capable our eyes are.

At a similar time to your Aldebaran image I saw it at a very similar distance to the moons limb, but it was a bit more dimmed by the glare and the moon looked way brighter. I could see the red colour though. 

Great images Derek

I wanted to stay out, but didn't get home from work till after midnight

and was dead on my feet by 01:00 :facepalm::brr:

3 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

That is great. I too was up last night, not through choice but insomnia. I kept looking out with binoculars.

I got Hyadum 1 even though it was very close just after egress. It was surprisingly difficult with the glare, which seemed far worse in bins than your images. Kept moving the moon just out of the field but it was still difficult. But when you think about it, mag plus 3.6 next to mag minus 12.4 is a massive 16 magnitude difference. That actually calculates to a relative brightness of about 2.5 million times!! Testament to how capable our eyes are.

At a similar time to your Aldebaran image I saw it at a very similar distance to the moons limb, but it was a bit more dimmed by the glare and the moon looked way brighter. I could see the red colour though. 

Nice to see the red colour.  I didn't look win bins, though probably should have - too much time faffing on things that went wrong to enable recording.  I managed to get a couple of videos with Aldebaran stuck on the limb or nearly so.  They are too big to share other than by my Google Drive, which is currently uploading (5 hrs) for someone else.  I should perhaps start a Youtube channel specific to astro because when uploading to My Drive, the folder is often initially restricted to just one person - e.g. put in a folder only for them, which contains other stuff.

3 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

I too was up last night, not through choice but insomnia

No, it's not insomnia, it's called astronomer's work time :unsure: