• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

My new set up is complete

Doc

Great set up Mick. You must be chuffed. A couple of questions....

I'm guessing by looking at the DM6 stamp on the tripod top you ordered it direct from Berlebach in the Fatherland ?

The tripod top on the Planet is wider than on my Uni. Is your refractors focuser / diagonal clear of the legs if you're observing near the Zenith ?

You'll find the tripod spikes can cause a few vibrations when on a hard surface like your patio. They are great of course on grass.

With that in mind, when i brought mine i ordered a set of 'rubber feet' (the spikes are interchangeable) Problem is the threads are

that tight they won't screw into the holes vacated by the spikes, so i've never been able to try them on my Uni.

Maybe they might fit a little better in the Planet ? Give me a shout if you want to try them out.

The trays are very useful on these Berlebachs. Great for carrying batteries, dew gear, eyepieces and most importantly of all.....your mashing gear ! :D

Thanks guys it's took a long time to get this far.

Rob I've got a set of rubber feet as well but haven't tried them.  Thinking about the zenith issue you have Rob I pretty sure that mines misses the tripod plate when at zenith. I cannot be certain but I did swing the scope to zenith and cannot recall it hitting anything. Remember the mount height is about 18" so plenty of height to raise the scope enough so it clears. I will check when I set it up next and let you know.

I ordered it from FLO who gets them direct from Germany, it actually works out cheaper to order from FLO then Berlebach.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

Looking good Mike.

I really like my berlebach very stable. I made spikes for mine.

Got mine direct from Germany some years ago, I think it worked out the same as from UK dealers at the time.

That is gorgeous Mick, you have got to be well chuffed with that, I'll look forward to having a look through that, well done mate.

I'll bet you were sweating with all those TV's out on that tray! :D

Come off it Mick, there's no such thing as a setup being complete is there? :lol:

Seriously though, that is a very nice rig. Just need to lose the eyepieces and fit a camera instead ;)

Excellent setup Mick, you must be buzzing now!  ?

A great example of getting it as right as possible! ?

I presume you do not need a counterweight to offset the scope? Would not want hear about any accidents regarding gusts of wind etc. :facepalm:

Thanks Mike, I know it's going to be a shock for many folk but I might connect the Canon 6d and take some Lunar shots :o

No counterweight needed Stephen. Cannot wait until that tree gets cut down in December then I can observe on my patio once again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithysteve said:

Excellent setup Mick, you must be buzzing now!  ?

A great example of getting it as right as possible! ?

I presume you do not need a counterweight to offset the scope? Would not want hear about any accidents regarding gusts of wind etc. :facepalm:

No, no counterweight needed Steve.

The DM6 is designed to cope with a 40lb load, typically anything up to a 12" sct or a 6" class refractor.

And i think Micks amazingly engineered version is probably beefier still.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2017 at 19:06, Bino-viewer said:

The tripod top on the Planet is wider than on my Uni. Is your refractors focuser / diagonal clear of the legs if you're observing near the Zenith ?

Hi Rob.

I checked this on Saturday and yes at Zenith the scope and diagonal clears the tripod plate and legs.

• Like 1