• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Orion's Belt

OrionsBeltY17NovD19

20 frames, each of ISO 6400, 180mm focal length and 8 seconds' exposure, stacked with Microsoft ICE and finished in GIMP. I was amazed that I captured some nebulousity. I was originally going to do M42 but I remember someone complaining about the number of M42 images that come out this time of year!

Thanks, Folks. To think that the only reason I went for the target was people being <expletive> off with M42 images. Makes me wonder if it's worth trying with different focal lengths and exposure lengths.

23 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

OrionsBeltY17NovD19

20 frames, each of ISO 6400, 180mm focal length and 8 seconds' exposure, stacked with Microsoft ICE and finished in GIMP. I was amazed that I captured some nebulousity. I was originally going to do M42 but I remember someone complaining about the number of M42 images that come out this time of year!

Very nice Phil.  Flame nebula there definitely.  I don't suppose you've zoomed in to where the horsehead nebula is to see if you can see any hint, or work on it to refine for a hint?  Grain size is probably a bit too big though, but you never know.  Good stuff.

6 hours ago, Orion said:

Very nice Phil.  Flame nebula there definitely.  I don't suppose you've zoomed in to where the horsehead nebula is to see if you can see any hint, or work on it to refine for a hint?  Grain size is probably a bit too big though, but you never know.  Good stuff.

I've tried to see the Horsehead visually with my 127 Mak but could not resolve it. I'm thinking of trying the area with my Mak and DSLR. I can only manage 300mm focal length with my DSLR.

5 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

I've tried to see the Horsehead visually with my 127 Mak but could not resolve it. I'm thinking of trying the area with my Mak and DSLR. I can only manage 300mm focal length with my DSLR.

I've captured the horsehead nebula with my 70-300mm at 300mm zoom lens on a Star Adventurer

On 11/21/2017 at 15:05, Sunny Phil said:

OrionsBeltY17NovD19

HHN&FN-5 lights 1 dark 60s-iso1600-3-horsehead nebula.jpg

Edited by Orion
add photo