Signing up for the East Midlands Stargazers is really quick and easy. Sign up using your email address, Facebook account or Twitter account, by using one of the buttons below.

Once you've signed up you'll be able to post in the forums to introduce yourself, customise your profile, exchange messages with other members of our community, and attend one of our monthly meetings to meet other members. We welcome members of all skill levels, from the complete beginner to the seasoned veteran of the skies.

Daz Type-R

Star Gazing Live - 2018 - we need you..... yes you!

Daz Type-R

Star Gazing Live - 2018 at MPOLE (Malcolm Parry Observatory) - Wednesday 24th January.

Mike and his team at MPOLE are once again offering the general public a bonanza of star gazing treats, timed to coincide with the BBC star gazing live events normally held in January, and they need our help.

Like previous star gazing live events held at MPOLE, EMS members have been on hand to show the general public their telescopes and if the weather permits, the night sky.

I have attended pretty much all of Mike's BBC stargazing live events and its great to see the general public turn out in their hundreds, all showing some enthusiasm for the night sky and astro in general.

I`m putting out this call to arms as we need some volunteers with a variety of telescopes to be on hand to talk to the public about their telescopes and also to show them the night sky (weather permitting of course).

Its a great night, good chance to catch up with like minded folk and bolster some enthusiasm in the general public.

So what I need is the below...........

• Some people willing to be inside, with their telescopes on hand to chat to the public and show off their shiny kit.
  • Some people willing to be outside, with their telescopes on hand to show the public the wonders of the night sky (weather permitting).

Note :- if the weather is bad then we will all be inside.

So its up to you folks, please come and help us out by signing up.

If you could comment on this post and reply with the below information, then I can collate it all and assign people to their posts!

• You preference to be inside or outside or not bothered where I put you.
  • The scope you will be bringing.

So once again, the date is 24th January, I need everybody to be able to get to the Malcolm Parry observatory for 17:00 (17:30 at the latest) so we can be ready for a 18:00 start.

it doesn't go on for long, with everybody starting to leave from 21:00 onwards.

Please only comment if you can make the event at the date and time specified.

Thank you all in advance.

INSIDE.

1. Sheila         - no scope but on picture duties.
  2. philjay        - ED80 imaging setup.

OUTSIDE.

1. Daz Type-R - 200P dob.
  2. Baz.             - Frac
  3. Alec.            - Mak
  4. Doc.             - Frac
Edited by Daz Type-R
Update.

BAZ

Already committed, I am in! :thumbsup:

Put me outside with the Frac.

Edited by BAZ

Alec

Visited as the viewing public, time to be on the other side of the fence!

Outside with either a  ED80 or Mak

Daz Type-R
3 hours ago, BAZ said:

Already committed, I am in! :thumbsup:

Put me outside with the Frac.

Cheers Martyn, appreciated.

44 minutes ago, Alec said:

Visited as the viewing public, time to be on the other side of the fence!

Outside with either a  ED80 or Mak

@Alec  thanks for that, OK if you bring the Mak?

Sheila

Already signed up. Inside no kit but images and pictures for folks to look at and ask questions I think.  Might be nice if someone had a small imaging set up to view if there are any volunteers :)   My kit it a little large and heavy to set up 

Daz Type-R
17 minutes ago, Sheila said:

Already signed up. Inside no kit but images and pictures for folks to look at and ask questions I think.  Might be nice if someone had a small imaging set up to view if there are any volunteers :)   My kit it a little large and heavy to set up 

Cheers Sheila.

philjay

All being well I intend to be there. Inside 5" frac or ed80 set up for imaging, whichever you prefer

Edited by philjay

Daz Type-R
1 hour ago, philjay said:

All being well I intend to be there. Inside 5" frac or ed80 set up for imaging, whichever you prefer

@philjay thanks for that,  if you could bring the ED80 imaging set up, that would be great?

Doc

I'm up for it as well. Inside or out don't bother me.

Ron Clarke

Bit too far for me Daz, but I'm keeping an eye open for nearer events...

Daz Type-R
On 28/11/2017 at 13:15, Doc said:

I'm up for it as well. Inside or out don't bother me.

@Doc cheers for that Mick, you ok being outside with your scope?

Sunny Phil

Love to help but apart from the distance, I expect to be busy. What I would do if I came is set up a laptop and show the Moon or a bright planet.