• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

Daz Type-R

Star Gazing Live - 2018 - we need you..... yes you!

Doc

Daz is it alright if I set up inside. I'm having a little trouble with circulation in my hands at the moment and it's worse when they get cold.

BAZ

Yes Mick, Daz can't attend so I have taken over the organising, so Yes, set up inside mate.

BAZ

Unfortunately Daz is unable to make it tomorrow. 

If you need anything contact me and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers folks. 

Daz Type-R

Cheers Martyn, thanks.

I have alterd the front page to show Mick is now inside and I have asked Bryan (bryand) if he doesn't mind moving outside.

Sorry I can't make it, gutted really as it is a great night, but once again work has got in the way.

Daz Type-R

Bryan has agreed to go outside, so the front page is correct as of tonight.

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered, fingers crossed for decent weather and a large crowd, sounds like it's going to be a great night.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Bino-viewer
1 hour ago, BAZ said:

Unfortunately Daz is unable to make it tomorrow. 

If you need anything contact me and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers folks. 

Hi Martyn,

Just checked my Weatherpro : its saying showers till around 6 ish, then it may clear up a bit ?

I'm happy to set up indoors first, then go out later once the rain has gone.

Any preference with the scope i bring ? 

I'm leaning towards a refractor.....

BAZ

You were down for the SCT, but if the frac is easier, bring that. 

My weather app is showing rain until 14.00 or so, but we'll have to play it by ear when we get there. I hope to be there 17.00 onwards, depending on traffic.

BAZ

Just a thought, take a step up if outside, the wee ones can't make the eyepiece otherwise.

Bino-viewer

Nice to see everyone who attended this evenings event.

I wished i could have mingled around inside a bit more for a chinwag.

Nice to see such a good variety of telescopes inside and out

and its always fun to see peoples reactions at the eyepiece.

There were a good few people, ladies in particular, who had never seen the moon

through either a telescope or even a pair of binoculars.

I like to hear all the oohs and arrrs.....and its great to see childrens reactions too.

Heres to the next Star Gazing Live !  :telescope:

bryand

My favourite comment was from the young mum with an 8-year old in tow who had arrived a 6 pm and still hadn't seen everything by 9!

BAZ

Considering this was just a school event and not supported by the BBC, I thought this was well attended. it was fair to say that the adults were as interested and enthusiastic as the kids.

The best comment I got was "It looks a bit dusty"!  I replied that we hadn't been back there for a while, so no one had tidied up.

A big thanks to everyone who attended, and thanks to Bryan, who thoughtfully made us all badges.

The reactions did make the night for me and come on, how jammy were we with the weather, that panned out well. All in all a good night.

tuckstar

I thought it was a good night. Plenty of ohhs and ahhhs going on. And got to try out the 9mm es on Martyn's frac.

Was a good night for IDAS as well and hopefully might of gleamed some new members, for both idas and ems.

Idas at long eaton school Jan 18

philjay

Yep an enjoyable night, goid to see folks and have a natter plus encourage newcomers to have a go. I enjoyed Steves planetarium show very impressive

Alec

Yes an enjoyable night, personally I found it quite funny, being outside most people made a beeline for the big looking telescopes, then eventually coming to have a look through the MAK127 with a 6mm eyepiece in on the moon.

Then I got the wow factor and the comments SIZE IS NOT EVERYTHING!

Doc

In astronomy size is normally everything :lol:

It was a great night, great to catch with you all and hopefully some the kids have caught the astronomy bug.

Perkil8r

A huge thanks to all who helped out last night. It's always good to see and hear the reactions. Without the help of you the event would be lacking so again,  massive thanks for all your efforts. 

red dwalf

Sorry I couldn't make it, being my birthday and all, the wife took me out and we didn't get back till 10pm, looked like you picked a great night for it, looked clear which is a bonus for these events, I got home and fired up the scope, did 1x15 minute sub before the clouds came over, typical.