• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flogging a dead pony!

andyboy1970

Just wondered if anyone on here has ever seen 'the horsehead' visually ??

Its a tough one i believe, and its one of this months 'skytour' objects in Decembers Astronomy Now magazine.

Apparantly you need a Hydrogen beta filter to bag it (and plenty of aperture.)

I have the aperture, but not the filter....

Great image btw Andy....:good2:

I reckon the Hb filter is a must to visually see it, I have tried a good number of times, I know I am on it because of the adjacent stars and the fact of where it is. But no luck as yet even from a real dark site. Santa  might be bringing a Hb filter, he doesn't know it yet though! :D

Let us know if you get anywhere near it Rob.

Had a look round : Tring astro have them at half price, so i've ordered one and will  indeed pass it on to santa.

I've always wanted to see if i can spot the horsehead.

Also found this useful info on the 'CN forum'  (Mods / Admin : please delete if i'm breaking forum rules)

An 8 inch rich-field telescope can use the H-Beta to show larger objects like the Gamma Cygni nebular complex (IC 1318) or segments of Barnard's Loop and the California Nebula.  There are other fainter targets which the H-Beta can be used on, although some require moderate to large aperture:

USEFUL TARGETS FOR THE H-BETA FILTER

While the H-Beta is probably one of the less-used nebula filters, the commonly expressed idea that it works only on a handful of objects is not necessarily true.  Here is a list of some of the more prominent objects that the H-Beta may be at least somewhat useful on.  Some may require larger apertures (and some may be slightly better in other filters), but a few have been seen from a dark sky site by just holding the filter up to the unaided eye and looking at the sky.  Some of these will also be helped by a narrow-band filter like the Lumicon UHC. 

1.  IC 434 (HORSEHEAD NEBULA)
2.  NGC 1499 (CALIFORNIA NEBULA, naked eye and RFT)
3.  M43 (part of the Great Orion Nebula)
4.  IC 5146 (COCOON NEBULA in Cygnus)
5.  M20 (TRIFID NEBULA, main section)
6.  NGC 2327 (diffuse nebula in Monoceros)
7.  IC 405 (the FLAMING STAR NEBULA in Auriga)
8.  IC 417 (diffuse Nebula in Auriga)
9.  IC 1283 (diffuse Nebula in Sagittarius)
10. IC 1318 GAMMA CYGNI NEBULA (diffuse nebula in Cygnus)
11. IC 2177: SEAGULL NEBULA (Diffuse Nebula, Monoceros)
12. IC 5076 (diffuse nebula, Cygnus)
13. PK64+5.1 "CAMPBELL'S HYDROGEN STAR" Cygnus (PNG 64.7+5.0)
14. Sh2-157a (small round nebula inside larger Sh2-157, Cassiopeia)
15. Sh2-235 (diffuse nebula in Auriga).
16. Sh2-276 "BARNARD'S LOOP" (diffuse nebula in Orion, naked eye)
17. IC 2162 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion)
18  Sh2-254 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion near IC 2162)
19. Sh2-256-7 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion near IC 2162)
20. vdB93 (Gum-1) (diffuse nebula in Monoceros near IC 2177)
21. Lambda Orionis nebular complex (very large, naked-eye)   
22. Sh2-273 "Cone" Nebula portion south of nebulous cluster NGC 2264

In addition, a number of the brighter nebulae like NGC 7000 or M42 will respond to H-Beta use for revealing certain specific detail, although other filters may provide a somewhat better view overall.  Clear skies to you.

2 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Tring astro have Hb filters £69.99 half price....down to £34.99

They have sold out:angry: I'm blaming you @BAZ :2thumbsup:

Thanks Martyn. I'll hang on for now, would of been an impulse buy, especial after spending on a new eyepiece already this month.

15 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Had a look round : Tring astro have them at half price, so i've ordered one and will  indeed pass it on to santa.

I've always wanted to see if i can spot the horsehead.

Also found this useful info on the 'CN forum'  (Mods / Admin : please delete if i'm breaking forum rules)

An 8 inch rich-field telescope can use the H-Beta to show larger objects like the Gamma Cygni nebular complex (IC 1318) or segments of Barnard's Loop and the California Nebula.  There are other fainter targets which the H-Beta can be used on, although some require moderate to large aperture:

USEFUL TARGETS FOR THE H-BETA FILTER

While the H-Beta is probably one of the less-used nebula filters, the commonly expressed idea that it works only on a handful of objects is not necessarily true.  Here is a list of some of the more prominent objects that the H-Beta may be at least somewhat useful on.  Some may require larger apertures (and some may be slightly better in other filters), but a few have been seen from a dark sky site by just holding the filter up to the unaided eye and looking at the sky.  Some of these will also be helped by a narrow-band filter like the Lumicon UHC. 

1.  IC 434 (HORSEHEAD NEBULA)
2.  NGC 1499 (CALIFORNIA NEBULA, naked eye and RFT)
3.  M43 (part of the Great Orion Nebula)
4.  IC 5146 (COCOON NEBULA in Cygnus)
5.  M20 (TRIFID NEBULA, main section)
6.  NGC 2327 (diffuse nebula in Monoceros)
7.  IC 405 (the FLAMING STAR NEBULA in Auriga)
8.  IC 417 (diffuse Nebula in Auriga)
9.  IC 1283 (diffuse Nebula in Sagittarius)
10. IC 1318 GAMMA CYGNI NEBULA (diffuse nebula in Cygnus)
11. IC 2177: SEAGULL NEBULA (Diffuse Nebula, Monoceros)
12. IC 5076 (diffuse nebula, Cygnus)
13. PK64+5.1 "CAMPBELL'S HYDROGEN STAR" Cygnus (PNG 64.7+5.0)
14. Sh2-157a (small round nebula inside larger Sh2-157, Cassiopeia)
15. Sh2-235 (diffuse nebula in Auriga).
16. Sh2-276 "BARNARD'S LOOP" (diffuse nebula in Orion, naked eye)
17. IC 2162 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion)
18  Sh2-254 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion near IC 2162)
19. Sh2-256-7 (diffuse nebula in northern Orion near IC 2162)
20. vdB93 (Gum-1) (diffuse nebula in Monoceros near IC 2177)
21. Lambda Orionis nebular complex (very large, naked-eye)   
22. Sh2-273 "Cone" Nebula portion south of nebulous cluster NGC 2264

In addition, a number of the brighter nebulae like NGC 7000 or M42 will respond to H-Beta use for revealing certain specific detail, although other filters may provide a somewhat better view overall.  Clear skies to you.

Very nice list Rob. :thumbsup:

Also very optimistic. Going to get my Hb filter out later tonight for a naked eye view of Barnards Loop and the Lambda Orionis Complex. :)

I know that some of the stuff won't pop out, but it would be nice to see some of it. I suspect Dobbin is going to be the difficult one.

It's also interesting how some folks can really get a lot out of a filter and others find it hard to see the object if not impossible. Let us know how you get on Pete. :thumbsup:

Sorry guys if they've sold out.......:facepalm:

I did go for a 2" filter though........do they not have any in 1.25" size.....?

I'm going to use it not in an eyepiece, but in the binoviewers filter slide (2" only)

22 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Just wondered if anyone on here has ever seen 'the horsehead' visually ??

Its a tough one i believe, and its one of this months 'skytour' objects in Decembers Astronomy Now magazine.

Apparantly you need a Hydrogen beta filter to bag it (and plenty of aperture.)

I have the aperture, but not the filter....

Great image btw Andy....:good2:

Good image Andy, its nice to bag that one

Yes Rob

Some years back when I first got my Hb filter and I was using my C11 I had at the time. First time out with the filter, crystal clear winters night so it seemed, plus it was before light pollution invaded here, I tried for it. This should be visible with that set up quite easily on a good night according to reports and I set the Goto for it and found the field stars but just couldnt see anything. The next night was not quite as clear but seemed much steadier so I tried again and bang there it was. Not bright, not standing out, you had to work at it using averted vision but it was there. To confirm it I took the eyepiece and filter out (scope still on the HH) slotted my Mintron Camera in and there it was in the same orientation and place I had seen it.

So yes it is the size of your scope that counts to a certain degree but seeing conditions play a major factor. 

Oh you will stand no chance under normal UK skies with 127 aperture. Tried it, been there and got the tee shirts. An 11" or 12" is pushing it but it can be done. Big dobs no problems.

Edited by philjay
  • Like 1

I did it with the c11, hb filter and 56 year old ish eyes at the time so you should do it with the 12" easy being a youngster :D

Edited by philjay