• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Astro shop visit

Tweedledee

Where was that Pete? To be fair it does look like the kitchen department got the job of setting them up, and really didn't know how those weird universal joints work. 

Yes Currys. Really tempted to get one of those scopes for Christmas with the £25 gift card they gave me with my new phone, especially if I will see M33 just like the floor shows it! :)

14 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Yes Currys. Really tempted to get one of those scopes for Christmas with the £25 gift card they gave me with my new phone, especially if I will see M33 just like the floor shows it! :)

Lols just noticed that ????

Classic muggle mistake , I've seen it at Jessops, LCE, Argos, Car boots and in books. Not quite as bad as an official Nikon advertising shot with a so called pro photographer posing behind her camera.... with the lens cap still on.

I suppose that at least they are Meade, so optically they should be usable, much better than some of the store bought rubbish you can pick up at extortionate prices.

13 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

A superb presentation of telescopes.

Nicely levelled and polar aligned newtonian, pointing towards the Large Magellanic Cloud and fitted with essential 90 degree diagonal prism. I bet you could even see Messier 33 through the red dot finder... if they can tilt it down a bit more without fouling the tripod leg. ;)

20171129_140202s.jpg?raw=1

In 1976, I got a Prinze 500x refractor (60mm) from Dixons for £100.  It did show Jupiter's 4 moons, Saturn's Titan, but not the Cassimi division, and Venus's phases. Moon was fine. But I wasn't happy with it, and I thought Jupiter should have been as big as in the books.  After some tests focusing on a false star by DS Brown at Grub Parsons factory, Newcastle upon Tyne, in, out and at focus, then on real stars, showing some optical defects, I took it back.  The manager wasn't happy but after a while we were refunded.  It put me off and I didn't buy another telescope until 6 years later when I got a 8.75" Fullerscope from Fullerscopes, London (Part of Broadhurst Clarkson and Fuller).  That was when I started seeing intricate planetary detail, splitting close double stars, and saw some DSO's, and started astrophotography. The scope is in my current profile pic.  

• Like 2

CTT's as the Americans would say. (Christmas trash telescopes)

The sad part is you wonder how many disappointed kids there are out there

whose curious minds have been disappointed and subsequently put off astronomy

after using one of these.......?

I must try the star diagonal trick in my own Newtonian. It may work wonders....and why bother with an extension tube to focus.....! :lol:

It just needs a sign saying ‘Warning - Do not buy any of these items!’

There are plenty of worse, cheaper telescopes out there at loads of other stores too! 

it saddens me to imagine the disappointments to come.

i am surprised you resisted not rearranging the display and setting up the scopes a bit better Pete! ?

• Like 2

It's all down to expectations and promises with these scopes. Promises in that the advertising promises what we know as ridiculous magnifications and impressive images on the packaging. Expectation because Muggles expect to see hubble like images when looking through a telescope because they have been conditioned that way.

My first scope over 50 years ago was a 50mm Tasco with cemented doublet lens, fixed mag on wobbly tabletop tripod. But my expectations were lower because I had not been conditioned with hubble and space probe images. This scope was awful quality wise but I didn't care, it showed me blurred craters on the moon, jovian moons and Saturn's rings and it fired my imagination and enthusiasm.

Times and expectations have changed, the instant gratification culture rules nowadays. Is it good, is it bad, dunno

• Like 2