• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

15.12.17 Observing report

Doc

A great detailed report Mick! You had a good session, if cold! ? the report must have took some sorting too! ?

Is a ‘peanut’ appearance an elongated shape, or something else?

cheers!

I just call it a peanut split as it resembles a peanut or figure eight. It basically means I couldn't see a gap between the two stars. My scope has a resolution of 0.96 arc seconds or 0.96". In practice this is never the case as you only get that figure in perfect skies, the best I have achieved is 1.6".

Edited by Doc

Great read there Mick, that was a good nights work. You are certainly getting your monies worth out of the Claves. Thanks for the write up.

24 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Great read there Mick, that was a good nights work. You are certainly getting your monies worth out of the Claves. Thanks for the write up.

To be honest I like using the Claves more then I do the Delos's. I cannot believe I like a 35 year old set of eyepieces so much, they have only a 48° Fov but are pretty stunning in the view they provide. The background is inky black, the stars are pinpoints with hardly no bloating, no scatter, shows great colour, pretty perfect really. The eye is placed perfectly due to the recessed viewing slot in the top of the eyepiece so no kidney beaning occurs.  Only one problem they are so hard to find.

Edited by Doc

I think you hit the nail on the head there Mick, only 48° is used and therefore some of the ultra wide eyepieces that only have a central usable view of around fifty to sixty degrees, are really detracting from the view you actually need to properly see an object. Maybe sometimes less is in fact more.

See once one gets a refractor double star observing soon follows :D

Good report Mick glad you got some sky.

I find I use my Delites more on doubles these days, not a vast FOV but you dont need wide vistas on doubles just the quality to split tight separations. On the old 4" F15 Achro the 1960s orthos were the weapon of choice and I used to use them for lunar and planetary alot. New glass isnt necessarily the preferred glass sometimes