• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Auriga Clusters

M36M37M38

My meteor hunting lens is out of action, so I am restricted to 70mm focal length and more. No meteors but this stack of frames shows a large part of Auriga.

What's happened to your lens Phil?

I can see M36, M37, M38, also the group of stars that lie between IC405 and IC410, it's got a name but for the life of me I cannot remember it.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

What's happened to your lens Phil?

I can see M36, M37, M38, also the group of stars that lie between IC405 and IC410, it's got a name but for the life of me I cannot remember it.

It fell out of alignment, then I undid it to straighten it, "fixed" it then the bottom separated from the top and the bottom was stuck in the camera. I had to prise it off. I might be able to screw it back but need new screws. I think I can get it to work but won't have auto-focus, etc. Should be OK for astro but no good for everyday.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

The Flying Minnow or Little Fish asterism I think. :)

That and a few other interesting asterisms here... http://www.deep-sky.co.uk/asterisms.htm

Flying%20Minnow%20asterism%20(Little%20F

You've certainly captured a lot of stuff in that shot Phil. :thumbsup:

I see cluster NGC2281 in the bottom left corner, it has a nice looking trapezium or regular lozenge shaped grouping of 4 stars at the clusters centre which is easily visible in any scope.