• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

TV Tuner for an i5 Windows desktop PC with 27" monitor

Orion

I'm getting a new desk top mostly for astro image processing.  But out of curiosity, I wondered about getting one of those TV tuners that connect by USB, which have a socket to plug in a TV aerial (if there is one available, which there's not in the room intended, unless I put an aerial in the loft, drape it down the wall and drill a hole in the bedroom study to feed it through, to connect to the PC tuner plugged into the PC).  I fancied being able to do things like watch ordinary TV (say I could have it in a window on the 27" whilst doing something esle); tuning in to the TV channels around the world that you can't get on Freeview [I don't have a TV subscription in my broadband package - I only get about 2.8 Mbps]; either watching live, or programming to record and watch later - though what might happen, is an increasing library of unwatched content.

I just wondered. There's a big variation in prices - some are a few quid, and some are several tens of pounds to between £100-300.  I don't want to buy something that I could actually buy a proper TV with (but would still need an aerial for that), but I could quite happily experiment with a basic one that will teach me how they work, then I may realise what is needed for a better reception.

Anyone done anything like this before and what I'd need to buy to try?

thanks

derek

You could just use I player and equivalent for itv, Chanel 4 and 5 on your computer. Or net flix or KODI if you don't mind streaming.

Edited by tuckstar